Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a problem with my 5yo Potterton Promax 15HE & 24HE flue condensing boiler gas fired central heating unit.

For the last week it has fired up (you can hear it and see the flame) and then turns itself straight off. But, sometimes it works fine, stays lit and heats the whole house as per normal. There seems to be no pattern on when it works or not.

An engineer came out today and said it had power, the pump was fine but it needed a new circuit board that he'd have to order costing £250+£150 fitting. Does this sound realistic?

I have no problem paying someone to do a job, but I can not understand how a circuitboard can sometimes work and sometimes not.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
75% of all circuit boards that a replaced are not faulty!

The reset are ideal boiler circuit boards. :) ha ha ha ha ha
Sorry gas engineer joke.

Unlikely that the circuit board is the cause.

I would have said something like fan or air pressure switch a much more likely cause.

£250 is half way to a new boiler which would you rather have?

If it lights for about 6 - 7 secs and cuts out the problem is rectification. Been to one the other day, cleaned the rectification post and it fired fine, never recalled to me. It was doing what your boiler was, sometimes ok, other times not. I would feel a lot better cleaning the post with some carbon strip and getting a good result than forking out all that dough for a pcb that can't b returned

Hi there

I have a problem with my 5yo Potterton Promax 15HE & 24HE flue condensing boiler gas fired central heating unit.

For the last week it has fired up (you can hear it and see the flame) and then turns itself straight off. But, sometimes it works fine, stays lit and heats the whole house as per normal. There seems to be no pattern on when it works or not.

An engineer came out today and said it had power, the pump was fine but it needed a new circuit board that he'd have to order costing £250+£150 fitting. Does this sound realistic?

I have no problem paying someone to do a job, but I can not understand how a circuitboard can sometimes work and sometimes not.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
i couldnt comment on the fault without seeing it in action, but i can say that those charges are well out of order. of the 2 boards on that the most expensive is £150 and no more than an hours work to change it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back