Boiler Rethink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've had a rethink on the boiler that I am going to have fitted due to a budgeting problem!

My choice is now between a Glow Worm Ultracom 2 cxi and a Baxi Main 30HE. I would like to ask, at the risk of sounding dim, which one you would recommend. I have read the lierature on these and the only thing that is concerning me is that the GW has a DHW flow rate of 12.5LPM but in the brochure under "installation" it says that it is restricted to 10.5LPM. Does this mean that the flow is restricted during installation only or at all times?
Anyway, the real question is, which one would you recommend

Thanks

Weston66

Sponsored Links
Main for me too, have installed quite a few now and touch wood they have proved a good reliable boiler.

Sponsored Links
I suppose the other factor here is controls. I know the GW has a good range of controls that can be used with it but I've not seen much for the Main. Is it just a case of cheap and cheerful with the Main or are there a range of controls available?

Weston66

I've had a rethink on the boiler that I am going to have fitted due to a budgeting problem!

so p i ss or get off the pot you want cheap because of your budget

or you want all the bells and whistles

make your freakin mind up :rolleyes:

Well, I want the best that I can afford right now. That was a Veissmann but the building regs have thrown a spanner in my works and managed to put a hole in my budget to the tune of about £400! I will now lose my £50 quid deposit on the Veissmann so I'm actually gonna be around £450 adrift. I can't wait to save the extra cash again cos I've got 2 young uns here and in approx 10 days I won't have a boiler. Well, I will have a boiler but the wall it's hung on is being demolished, so I have to act quickly.
I want the best available for the money I've got. I'd like to buy a boiler that I can add to over time. I know I can do this with the Glow Worm, I'm just not sure if the same kind of add ons are available for the Main. I'm not even sure that these two are the best available for my budget. I was sort of hoping I would get some pointers on here.

Weston66

The Baxi Main 30HE is a very good boiler, but is a band B and as such cannot be fitted now, there is another version called the Eco, and thats a band A.

Why would you lose your £50 deposit?

Especially if you will use the same engineer to install it :confused:

Any way, I would go for the Main as well, out of these two.

Potterton Gold's are still on special offer at present. Exactly the same boiler, different badge but an extra year warranty.

the building regs have thrown a spanner in my works
How, exactly?

Well, I went to the civic centre and paid my money to have the regs people approve the work. I explained what I was having done and the fella said it all sounded like straight forward stuff and didn't foresee any probs. A few weeks later I rang him and asked him to come and look for himself because I was ready to get the builders in. He came and looked at the job and I explained what the builder had told me. 10x5 beams the builder said. Regs man said he thought that that may be overdoing it and that a 8x4 would prob be sufficient. Said he would check it back at the office. He rang back the day after and said he wasn't sure now and that I should get a structural engineer to calculate the beams. Approx £250 to get 1 done and I need 2. He said he would send me a list of engineers. Sod that, I found a friendly engineer myself who did the 2 for £375. The result? 8X4's like the regs man had suggested! So £100 for the regs and £375 for the calcs. The best bit is yet to come. Rang the regs dept and explained that the calcs were done and should I post them and could I get on with the work. Yes post them they said but don't start work cos our engineer needs to check them first. "What?" I said "You've got an engineer there in your office?" "Yes" she said. "So, why have I had to go and shell out a fortune for something that you could do?". She began to reply but I had already hung up!
Bl00dy councils

Weston66

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back