Boiler shuddering and producing banging noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Newbie, but have searched posts and need some advice.

Moved into a refurbished house over the summer with a new Biasi ActivA boiler (still under 5 yr warrantee).

Boiler has been working fine until this weekend. First on Friday night, boiler stopped working, and on investigation, the condensate pipe (32mm) had frozen. 20 mins of pouring warm water resolved the problem. Boiler worked all night and throughout saturday.

Woke up a 3 am this morning with boiler on, and making loud banging noise and shuddering. The radiators were not warm. I turn everything off, and checked 30 mins later , initially with hot water and then with c.h system. We get hot water, (boiler shudders twice and then continues working). As soon as turn up the roomstat for heating, the banging and shuddering is on continuously. I have turned the boiler off..

I tried to call Biasi, but they are not open today and will have to log a call with them tomorrow.

My questions are:
1. Are there any simple checks, that i can do.
2. Can i do them without invaliding the guarantee and breaking the law (I am not gas safe registered), but competent with DIY.
3. would the frozon condensate have caused the current problem.

Looking at other posts it sounds like the pump or heat exchanger clogged up. I can see a sticker for Fernox inhibitor on the boiler.

Could the heat exchanger clog up in 6 months (i am in the midlands).

Any advise would be welcome, as i don't fancy spending a day in an unheated house with 2 young kids!

Sponsored Links
first thing, check the pressure in the system and top up to 1.25 bar(ish).

If the central heating pipes run somewhere uninsulated (loft for example) they may be frozen.

Thanks for getting back.

The pressure is 1.4 bar (when cold).

All the pipe is insulated I(including those under the floorboard) as I had seen this when the house was been refurbished.

Have been out and got some electric heaters to keep us going through the day.

Will up posted on whatever i try.

Sponsored Links
Picasso,

I don't think it is a frozen pipe problem (all the pipes are inside the house either under the floor boards or buried into the wall). The heating was working when we went to bed last night; and three hours later this noise started.

I am tempted to leave it for a few more hours and start the boiler to see if it works.

This is exactly the problem we were having yesterday and now this morning the boiler isn't working. Been looking for advice and so far we have checked the pressure, poured warm water on the condensate pipe and then taken off the front cover to see there is no flame.

We have a Worcester 28i combi boiler and I guess we need to make the phone call to Scottish Power who we have our boiler repair contract with.

Can anyone suggest anything we haven't tried? We don't know how to get the flame back.

Thanks in advance.

Some news,

The boiler has been off since 3 am, and we have been out (to a warmer place). Got back an hour ago and decided to fire up the boiler and it seems okay for now.

This is what i did:
1. reduced hot water temp from 60 to 50.
2. reduced C. H. temp from 70 to 50.
3. Turned the themostat really low so that c.h. does not fire up.
4. Turned on boiler.
5. Opened hot water tap and left it running for 10 mins.
6. closed hot water tap and then turned thermostat up. The C. H. seems to be okay for now.

We will manage with a lower hot water and C. H. temp, until i call Biasi tomorrow morning.

I don't know what has happened, maybe the pump is on its way out and needed a rest! I will update later once problem has been resolved.

Socksuk,
Do you have a gas supply and is there gas elsewhere in the property. Last night when it was playing up, i checked our gas hob to make sure that there was a gas supply. Being a cold night, the demand may have exceeded the supply - I am not an expert, but wanted to cover all the options.

Have you turned it off at the spur, and turned it back on again.

In my previous flat (with a pre-paid gas meter) i had to reset the boiler several times (to remove an air-lock) when i ran out of credit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back