boiler shuts down after 1-2 minutes

there should be a drain cock at or about the lowest level, perhaps on a radiator near the back door (where it is easy to throw a hose outside)

we are looking at evidence to see if the system is being topped up from the tank. What you are describing often happens if there is a blockage.

It is usually just below that brass joint that you losened, you could try taking it off and poking a stiff bit of wire down. Or hold a strong magnet against the copper pipe and see if it is attracted (this happens if the pipe is clogged with black iron oxide)

hi
i shall try this tomorrow if i can,
thanks

Sponsored Links
It does sound as if the system is filling to some extent as water comes out of the new towel rail.

It could still be an air lock around the pump or boiler. Are there any air vent screws around there or if not any compression joints you could loosen to see if air comes out?

Have you ever turned the pump isolation valves? They are best never touched in most cases as they usually either jam or leak.

If all else fails then pouring water DOWN the vent pipe, either with thin tube you can push round the bend or cutting it off on the vertical ( to be reconnected with a compresson fitting later ) will usually solve airlock problems.

That boiler is rather old and would give good gas savings if replaced with a modern condensing unit.

Tony

You could also connect a hose to the main and a relevant drain off and back fill. Keep an eye out on the vent and the tank filling up tho.

I usually avoid trying that because they are so poorly made and leak so much.

Also the jumper can be forced closed by the pressure of the mains water.

A safer method suitable for some rads with 1/2" bleed screw tapings is to turn rad valves off and put a hose adapter in place of the bleed screw. I use that if access to the loft is not available.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I usually avoid trying that because they are so poorly made and leak so much.

Also the jumper can be forced closed by the pressure of the mains water.

A safer method suitable for some rads with 1/2" bleed screw tapings is to turn rad valves off and put a hose adapter in place of the bleed screw. I use that if access to the loft is not available.

Tony

I PTFE the thread on the jumper matey (on my jobs anyways) that way you can undo the gland slightly and turn the jumper more, doesnt shut that way or leak

I always do my installations with the maintainer in mind but they never give any problems so I never go back to them.

In any case I use isolating valves instead of drain cocks!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back