1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Boiler sounds like a jet engine

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by sodrisc, 9 Feb 2005.

1. sodrisc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,
    We have a ideal response 80 combi boiler, it was working fine until last night when it started making a noise like a jet engine when having either the CH or HW on, seems to work fine but the noise its making is terrible, is this the fan on its way out (bearing maybe) is there anything I can check myself before calling a engineer?
    thanks.

2. BDL

BDL

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    More than likely the fan. There are no bearings on this fan unit. Doubt a repair will be made. Looks like a new fan assy.

3. croydoncorgi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Prices for fans are stupidly high anyway. If you attempt DIY, you'll pay top dollar for the part AND probably break the law. Get a corgi in.
    Woof!

4. sodrisc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the quick reponse. How difficult would it be to replace the fan? or is this definately a engineer job, money is tight at the moment, I have found a replacement fan for 100 + vat online.

5. BDL

BDL

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The fan assy is not difficult to replace if you have the correct tools/test equipment. Removal of the venturi, gas/air sensing pipes would need to be done, replacement o rings/venturi seal more than likely. Don't attempt it, be safe and get someone in!.

6. gasman1234567892001

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    is the noise all the time or itermitant