Boiler sounds like a jet engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We have a ideal response 80 combi boiler, it was working fine until last night when it started making a noise like a jet engine when having either the CH or HW on, seems to work fine but the noise its making is terrible, is this the fan on its way out (bearing maybe) is there anything I can check myself before calling a engineer?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
More than likely the fan. There are no bearings on this fan unit. Doubt a repair will be made. Looks like a new fan assy.

Prices for fans are stupidly high anyway. If you attempt DIY, you'll pay top dollar for the part AND probably break the law. Get a corgi in.
Woof!

thanks for the quick reponse. How difficult would it be to replace the fan? or is this definately a engineer job, money is tight at the moment, I have found a replacement fan for 100 + vat online.

Sponsored Links
The fan assy is not difficult to replace if you have the correct tools/test equipment. Removal of the venturi, gas/air sensing pipes would need to be done, replacement o rings/venturi seal more than likely. Don't attempt it, be safe and get someone in!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back