bolt post holder question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Quick bit of advice needed. I have to bolt 2 bolt down post holder to concrete for the fence I am putting up. One of the bolt post holder will be flush with the wall of a house.

The question I have is “Are these posts like this 1 in the link

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Bolt-Down-Post-Support/invt/548027

suitable to hold concrete post?”

Concrete posts are like this

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ndid=9273723&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266985057

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Ronnie :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
without being rude, what do you think! The only way of holding up a concrete post is to place it in a proper post hole foundation. In fact its the same for timber posts. Bolt downs or met posts, will never give a decent long term secure fixing.

dont take offence, they just really annoy me. theyre sold as the answer to all fencing problems, when in fact theyre a waste of metal

Sponsored Links
Hello

If I cannot use the bolt down or metapost how is it best to install the concrete post.

I have purchased 7 concrete post and 6 gravel boards. The fence I am installing is to be installed flush from the wall of a house and the other end of the fence will finish at a garden wall.

The problem I have is the line to where the fence is to be installed, part of this line is soil and part of it is concrete. The concrete part of the ground is by the house wall.

The question I have is how do I install the concrete post flush to the house wall and how do I secure this concrete post to the concrete foundation if bolt down post are not suitable. There is also the need to install 1 other concrete post into the concrete ground because after the 2nd concrete post is installed into concrete, then the ground will be soil.

Thanks

use a kango to break a small hole through the concrete for the post, and concrete back around it

you say you want a post flush to a house wall? In that case you can use a timber post and bolt it to the house. You can have it raised a few inches off the ground, this will reduce the rotting which is the bane of wooden fence posts. You can soak the top and the bottom in a jar of Cuprinol Green or other timber preservative for a day or so before you fit it (rain gets onto the top, and splashes onto the bottom, and soaks in through the end grain)

I have had best results by drilling right through the wall and post, and using galvanised studding with large washers and galvanised nuts. You can recess them into the plaster and decorate over them inside, and recess into the post as well for neatness. Lubricate the thread well with copper grease or it will rust solid.

You can use a frame fixing in the wall if you don't want to bolt through it, but it will not be as good. I would go for a coach screw that you can do up with a spanner as a screwdriver slot or cross will wear out and rust

You can get galvanised metal clips that fit a fence panel or a concrete gravel board. I recommend stainless screws, and paint the galvanised clips as they will be in place for a long time, exposed to the weather. Use plenty of clips, especially for the gravel board, as they are not very strong. Dark brown paint helps them to blend into the stained timber as well as protecting them from rust (you can also paint the concrete posts and gravel boards using dark brown masonry paint to help them blend in, but Thermo is rather eccentric and prefers them grey)

sorry mis read the post about the house wall. in that case as john says, use metal studding or rawl bolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back