Book shelves for the fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to put in 6 bookshelves, 3 on each side of the fireplace that is not used. They need to be approximately 110cm (L) x 25cm (W) and be white color. I do not like visible braces and would like the shelf's to be as close to 'floating' as possible.

Ikea does a series that I can cut down, however their floating system might not be strong enough for books.

Are there any other bookshelf systems that can be easily tailored to fit the requirements here?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Which Ikea product are you looking at?

Some of them are stress skin hollow core (cardboard honeycombe in the center), so may not be cut to lenght/width.

You could make your own stress skin sandwhich (2 layers of MDF, batten edges and core), with recessed battens around the edges.

Then you can screw two battens to either side of the wall, and slot it in.

Simplest method I have used is 18-22mm mdf, mark level line to wall, plug and insert screws leaving 10mm proud, on rear and sides, place shelf on top and tap all round to mark screw positions, then small rebate at screw positions, then drop shelf on so screw are hidden up in rebate.
Will hold just as mush weight as if installed on batten.
If you want it completely invisible a little filler or squirt of dec caulk to fill screw rebates.

How far do they span, foxholes method is perfect for short spans, long spans may sag over time at that thickness of MDF.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back