Bora 1.9 TD loose alternator pully wheel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
99 reg

Squeak and rattle.

I've had the belt off and the pulley has play on it and it slides a bit on the shaft.

How do I remove the alternator so I can try and tighten the pulley ?

The alternator is 90A Bosch and the engine is a 90 bhp.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the video.

I've been told by an ebay seller that when fitting a replacement alternator,

"need to get the ecu to read Your key and this means a diagnostic tool to be plugged into your car and get the key and ecu married"

Anyone got an opinion on that ?

Hell, if that's the case it's time I packed it in......!
Very happy to be corrected but I'd unplug the alternator ( tape up the heavy cable if need be so it cant possibly short out) and bash on.
I don't even disconnect the battery as a rule, as the radio code is rarely known.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Most obliged Burnerman

I'm not bothered about the radio, its a cheap tat thing that has no code.

So long as I don't have to do anything wizardry with the replacement alternator, that'll do for me.

Some good prices on ebay from car breaking sellers and for £20-30, its worth a punt.

Funny thing is I phoned the local VW place to get a price more out of amusement than anything else and the part no.

038 903 023 L, Bosch brand

is not for UK VW models so they reckoned they couldn't part X the alternator cause its not original equipment !!

buy the laser tool and tighten it in situ.
if its fooked then get another pully.

This would be the tool you have in mind ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-P...nch-Tool-33-/261870295310?hash=item3cf8af990e

A new pulley costs more than a 2nd alternator. Having said that, a 2nd hand alternator is a gamble anyway !

Its actually my sister's car and the problem was only brought to my attention on Tuesday this week. The alternator has been making the noise for a few weeks so there may be damage to the shaft if its been loose that long.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you can get in there, why not pop the belt off, remove the pulley as its loose, and check the alternator shaft and key to see what state its in?
John :)

I phoned an autosparkt to see if he stocked the tool and he offered to supply and fit the pulley for £20+vat provided I took the alternator off and took it to him.

It was a sod to remove, both the alternator and p/steering pump, which also had to be removed, were both tight as hell on their brackets - friction fit apparently !!

Just have to get the alternator back from the autosparky and refit it.

None apparently. Just a broken pulley so all is well provided I get the damn thing refitted.

Last edited:
gregers,

Did you replace the pulley without removing the alternator from the car ?

Sponsored Links
Back