Bora AC pump oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since doing the alternator pulley which I mentioned in a recent post, I've noticed a very slight leak of oil from the front plate (pulley end) of the ac pump.

Its seems I've disturbed the plate when doing the alternator so have tried to nip the bolts up a bit !!

What grade of oil does the ac pump require and how would I top it up should it be needed ?

This seems to be the same type -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-B...9160be&pid=100338&rk=3&rkt=29&sd=161781038827

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've always understood that the compressor is actually lubricated by the oil which is added to the refridgerant gas......anyone know different?
John :)

As its only a tiny leakage, I'll get some heat resisting gasket sealant, wipe the surface clean with petrol then spread some sealant on the plate joint where the oil pooled.

Its taken 5 days for enough oil to leak out to smear on my thumb print so its nothing fantastic.

Does the A/C actually work? If there's any reduction in pressure, it will call a halt.
Are you intending to open the pump up here?

Sponsored Links
I never thought to ask if the ac gets used. If it does, my sister hasn't said its faulty.

The leak is on the pulley end, not the compressor end.

No, I wasn't intending to open the pump. As I say, just wipe over clean where a the small amount of oil leaked and apply some gasket sealant.

Working or not, has to be the first check, I think.....personally I don't think that applying sealant on the outside of a leaking flange will be any good.
If the A/C isn't working, the first step is to repressurise the system. Firms like KwikFit will do this, but only charge you if the system maintains it's pressure. The refrigerant also has u/v chemicals added to it, so it's easy to see if there are any leaks.

Back