Bora TDI sluggish starter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
99 reg

Have been looking at it today.

9V across the battery when cranking the engine.

I took the starter off and cleaned all the solenoid connections with electric contact spray.

I check/cleaned the + / - battery leads. Meter readings about 1 ohm.

Put the starter back on and still sluggish!

Any suggestions for further investigation before I visit the scrappy for a replacement ?

Sponsored Links
With only 9v during cranking I'm surprised the engine spins at all.....sounds like a battery issue because the voltage shouldn't drop below 10.5.....and even that is momentary!
John :)

To be honest, I always thought 9V was normal across the battery when engine is cranking.

I shall try the battery off my 45 TD on the Bora and see if there's and improvement.

If there is, the Bora's battery is under warranty I believe!

thanks John

No, that's too low......do check the alternator output though, you're looking for 14.4 volts, maybe slightly less with the lights on, fast tickover.
Why not try connecting the Rover with heavy jump leads, have it's engine running and see how fast the Bora engine spins over?

Sponsored Links
Is this the bargain starter we commented on a while ago?

Indeed, but not if its the battery causing the problem!

Last edited:
Do try my jump start suggestion first.....but a tired starter - recon or not- can be just that :eek:

Yes, I'll certainly try the jump start test first. Probably tomorrow when I visit my sister next - its her car.

I'll post the results.

It is coming to the time of year when tired batteries give up the ghost. The 11 year old battery from my old Citroen didn't have much oomph in it yesterday!

Disappointing if this battery's thrown in the towel already, only been on the car since December last year.

Its not the battery!

Put the one of my 45 TD on and the starter was still sluggish.

Put the Bora battery back on but then had to jump it using the 45's battery to start the engine.

With the engine running, 14.55V across the battery so the alternator is working.

I'll have to get a replacement starter.

Presumably you are happy with the condition of the battery cables and connections......particularly the earth from engine to chassis?

As far as I can tell the cables are good.

About an ohm in the cables.

Cleaned the battery pole clamps, took off and wire brushed the cable lug/mating face for the engine ground cable, cleaned off the live on to the solenoid.

Did you measure the cranking voltage when your other car was connected to the Bora? If I'm jump starting any vehicle, I make sure the donor car's engine is running.

I'm sh*t scared to jump start any car these days in case I fry my electrics. Do someone a favour and you could end up £00's out of pocket.
I think DIY spanner's sister should get a new car!

Sponsored Links
Back