Bora TDI sluggish starter

It's your sister you're trying to help - you'll go the extra mile!
Loads of choice out there.....low mileage diesels do exist, expect coked up EGR valves - maybe Skoda would be cheaper than VW.
Have you ruled out a petrol car? Kia / Hyundai have some good buys out there.
John :)

Sponsored Links
All done and dusted.

Picked up a 2004 reg Bora TDI, 44k on the clock (genuine) and has leather upholstery.

Its in mint condition and my sister is delighted with it!

Probably keep the old one for spares.

thanks for the postings Gents!

44k? That's amazing - presumably backed up by the MOT certificates?
Check to see if its had a new timing belt, and wishing your sister all the best with this one!

Sponsored Links
Many thanks John

Only thing that could improve the car is a Walnut dash but VW being German!

Used this site to check the MOT history - perfect score!

Actually sourced it on ebay. The sellers lives 5 miles from my sister

Used ebay car check service as well and that was came back all A+

Timing belt was done at 33k to reassure the previous owner - service book history.

With the exception of wear on the tyres, you could roll a Bora TDI of the production line, park it next to this one and not see the difference.

...... walnut is Rolls Royce styling as well.

Of course with a Rolls, you can have diamonds set in the walnut dash but that's just plain silly.

Last edited:
Well, at least DIY spanner has plenty of experience of working on Boras....

Indeed!

I got an email earlier tonight from my sister. Her kids love the new car and she thinks its wonderful to drive.

When my 45 TD finally packs in, I want a car just like it. Although to be fair, my 45 TD was wonderful when I got it 12 years ago!

One for the Ford Focus TDC experts.

On the way to see the Bora, we called in at a car dealer to have a look at a 2006 Focus TDC. A bit scruffy with a few rust blisters under the paint and rusted driver seat floor mounts.

What got me curious was although the engine looked clean, the injector pump was all rusty. Is that the norm on a TDC Focus ? ...... just curious!

It collects all the crap that passes through the rad grille, nothing serious!
Have a look underneath at the fuel tank area.....rust? You bet!
PS On the Bora, the rear brake calipers need cleaning and greasing every year to keep them in top condition...dead easy until you need to shift the caliper support bracket to replace the disc :eek: (there's a way around that though (y))

Is that greasing the guide pins or the handbrake mechanism (or both) ? Don't forget DIY spanner is an expert on Boras!
Maybe that Focus had been submerged in a flood ?

The pads stick into the caliper bracket with road shoite and salt, Dave....the sliders rarely seize and neither do the caliper pistons - although I've replaced one or two - they tend to screw back in so long as the rubber boots haven't been split.

Think I've got that on my Peugeot. I got a MOT advisory about brake release and application imbalance measured in %'s . %'s of what? Needs new pads soon so I'll sort it then

Effectively that means that the brakes are sticking on, one side.....if cleaning the pads and sliders doesn't sort it, a replacement caliper is the way to go.

Sponsored Links
Back