Border tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to tile my bathroom.It has been re-arranged & re-plastered.I have sealed the walls etc.
My question is where would be the best place to incorporate the border tiles.I have a window in the bathroom which is slightly higher than my sink.Do i place the border tiles half way up the wall or the top of the border tile level with the bottom of the window sill or the bottom of the border tile level with the window sill tile so the border tile goes into the window recess or something else.
Also i have read that you put a batten about a tile height away from the skirting board and tile from there.If this is the case it will some way govern where my border tiles will lie.My bathroom is very small so i can only do that on 1 and 3/4 of the walls (the bath gets in the way) so can i use another starting point also i would have to be extremely accurate to get my border tiles in the correct place ie level with the window recess if i go down this route.
Hope someone can help.

Sponsored Links
People think tiling is easy, but half the job is in the planning. Have a look at the sticky at the top of the tiling forum for starters. Then work out where your bottom and top tiles will end up by repositioning the starting level.
It doesn't really matter where your border ends up, but most I've done like this are done so that the border tile is sitting on the window cill.

Would it be better and more accurate to put a batten level with the bottom of the border tiles.Then tile from there.This way the border tiles will be in the exact place (level with the window sill).Wait for them to dry then move the battens down the correct amount.
When you tile the border into the window recess would you have the border level with the window sill in a way that the border that goes into the window recess has a slither (thickness of a tile) taken off it as it sits on the window tile or do you take a slither off all the tiles that lay under the window.
Hope this makes sense

jelly said:
Would it be better and more accurate to put a batten level with the bottom of the border tiles.Then tile from there.This way the border tiles will be in the exact place (level with the window sill).Wait for them to dry then move the battens down the correct amount.
Yes you could do that.
jelly said:
When you tile the border into the window recess would you have the border level with the window sill in a way that the border that goes into the window recess has a slither (thickness of a tile) taken off it as it sits on the window tile or do you take a slither off all the tiles that lay under the window.
Hope this makes sense
To do it like this you would need to cut the tiles under the window.

Sponsored Links
Yes i would have to cut a slither off the tiles under the window if i did it one way.Which would look best taking a slither off the border tile going into the window recess or taking a slither off all the tiles under the window.
One has to give.Would it look odd the border tile going into the window recess slightly smaller than the rest as it will be resting on a tile in the window recess so to bring it into line with the others i would have to reduce its height.
Hope i'm not being too picky but i want to get the battens sorted on the wall and in the correct place.

Cut the tiles under the cill.
I take it you're tiling the cill? If so, you want to be laying the cill tiles first then lay the border tiles on top of those (allowing for a grout gap and adhesive of course).
You could always move the border up a bit - it doesn't have to be on the cill. See how it works out with the bottom and top rows of tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back