Bosch Dishwasher Not cleaning

Sorry to bring this up again. I seem to have the same symptoms in a Bosch dishwasher and I appreciate Sleepyheads expertise!
I removed left panel and indeed found a blockage in what I think is called feed matrix (vertical plastic tubes of different lengths and thicknesses all connected in one piece?)
Managed to more or less clean and dislodge blockage but still grit on dishes especially top rack and food residue baked on.
I also twice found the tablet at the bottom of the machine with only the white part left? Maybe because I have enough salt in the compartment it does not dissolve the salt layer?
How do I get to the pipe from the sump?
I removed screws from panel below door but can't seem to remove it unless I turn the machine upside down which I am reluctant to do!
Would it help to run the machine with soda crystals?
Any other advice?
Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
I couldn't get the feed pipe out either, but I could disconnect one end and clean it out with a toothbrush. This also let me clean in the pressure chamber too. After reconnecting the pipe/pressure chamber I then ran a Quick Wash cycle with the side panel off to check for any leaks. The dishwasher now fills properly again and the dishes are clean. Thanks Sleepyhead.

Great instructions everyone. Thank you. I have the same problem. I just wondered how you remove the pressure chamber, or at least how you remove the front panel under the door? I've managed to get the side off and remove one end of the hose, but I can't get my toothbrush into the pressure chamber because the front panel is in the way!

Great instructions everyone. Thank you. I have the same problem. I just wondered how you remove the pressure chamber, or at least how you remove the front panel under the door? I've managed to get the side off and remove one end of the hose, but I can't get my toothbrush into the pressure chamber because the front panel is in the way!

I think it would be easier to cut the toothbrush down or find something similar. On my Dishwasher removing the front panel dooesn't help as the base of the machine blocks access. To get the pipe off completely therefore would require removing the base. Not sure how to get the pressure chamber off.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with a sinktop Bosch Dishwasher. I've owned two of these dishwashers and never had a problem up to this point.

I tried cleaning everything and it still wouldn't work. Kept stopping (often with dirty water or unwashed dishes) and no obvious reason. So I had a think and realised that I'd been doing something different. I always used to use the longest and hottest Full Cycle. Just recently, I'd started to use one of the intermediate shorter/cooler cycles to save on time and electricity.

I ran the dishwasher on the Full Cycle - which generates more heat - and after three or for times of doing this, it worked OK. The problem has not recurred.

I think that the cooler/shorter cycle wasn't cleaning the pipes of all the food debris. In hot weather, this was leading to a build up of "fur" in the pipes. In turn, this had strained the system and gotten the (microprocessor?) control out of sync with the mechanical parts of the dishwasher. --- Anyhow, running the hottest and longest cycle has cured it. Worth a try? Otherwise, phone Bosch technical support; they're incredibly helpful.

Good luck.

Many, many thanks for this - the not cleaning properly problem has been driving us mad for a few days - was a choice between a new dishwasher (ours is 8 years old) and a repair man.

Opened the machine up as described and the bottom hose was sludged up completely - I am surprised we had as much water in there as we did.

Couple of things which will help further; you can remove the front metal panel after removing two plastic trim pieces - the first plastic bit clips off, the next is held on by two screws. The front metal trim is also held on by two screws.

This allows you to remove the ribbed hose from both ends and easily clean it out (I had to do something as the end of my toothbrush came off).

I then improvised using one of those cheap looped alloy wheel brushes (£1.99 tesco I think) - by cutting the end of the loop you have about 30cms of very flexible brush - ideal for cleaning out as much as you can in the pressure chamber.

Now works as perfectly as a 8 yr machine can do.

Great help here - many thanks

If you take off the panel at the front bottom as above, you can take the whole ribbed sump pipe out - it pulls out both ends with some very gentle tugging.

Great picture above from sub20, my machine is the same & my 'chamber' looks to be clogged up, how do you take it out to clean it or is it cleanable whilst still in the machine?

I am having a similar problem here. I believe it is the fill chamber / matrix which is the issue.

The blockage seems to be on the left of the image (a close-up provided too). I've been watching it drain on a cycle, and i'm wondering what that area actually does - or if it has any effect at all?

Is there any way to clear this out? The dishwasher is an SRS5602 - and I can't seem to find a spare online.

The dishwasher seems to work OK - just gets the dishes a bit mucky every so often. I It looks like there may well be congealed fat in there. Perhaps a hair drier may melt it (and the plastic?). On the upper right of this side of the chamber, there is an air hole of some sort, though I cannot seem to get directly from there to the muck.

bosch2a.jpg

bosch1g.jpg

The muck in the top right hand corner will not cause a problem unless it restricts the draining,then water will come out of the hole and flood the base triggering the anti flood.

If you watch the machine filling it should fill the chamber to the top then fill in one go.If the anti flood is operating as the tank empties you will need to remove and clean the pressure chamber and transfer hose.

This for the response. I did watch it drain and fill a few times and it looked ok. My initial problem was dishes and glasses which were not entirely clean. I cleaned up some muck in the spray arms and set a few 70 degree washes to clear up any fatty deposits - so lets see what happens.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, But I just wanted to say thanks sooo much for this, our Bosch dishwasher was not cleaning properly, constantly filling and emptying and in the end it was a pipe at the bottom of the dishwasher was really blocked.

This sounds more scary than it was, but this is what i did...

I had to take both sides off, the door panel off, the front kick panel and the metal bar behind that, then the pipe you can see immediately behind that just popped out, I cleaned it with an old toothbrush and some hot water, it was really blocked with fat and other stuff I couldn't recognise, put it back together and it has been as good as new.

Just to say anyone reading this, don't constantly run short washes, this I am sure is what caused our problem and since we only use a short wash for very lightly soiled things.

Yep another one here with the same not washing very well on top rack problem. Again an old thread but its where I came to first and was the best help so I am adding my findings here to hopefully help others.
Its a sgs4012gb/14 and 16 and a half years old !!!!
The top would not come off with a sharp whack - I had to depress the tow lugs at the back first
Here is pictures of what I found
View media item 96868View media item 96867As you can see the top left of the fill matrix is gunged up as is the top of the pressure chamber
I completely removed both of them from the machine and cleaned the matrix by repeatedly rinceing with water and shaking vigorously I still could not get the red float area clean and so I used this
View media item 96870After a couple of gos with that I got it clean, I did not even know there was a float in there it was that bad View media item 96872Next the pressure thing remove the top cover cap - it just slips up and off unplug the push fit fill tube. Once I had it in my hands I could see how it is put together and the top section can be prized away from the rest, carefully bending the body away until i could un clip it , I did the same with the round disk part. I could then gain access to it to completely clean it, I also gave the micro switches contacts a sand down.when it was off I could also get to the float mechanism to give that a good clean. Here is the result after cleaning.
View media item 96871Next up was the tube from the pressure thing to the sump, experience and sods law has taught me that once you mess with stuff like that it always starts dripping so i prefered to not remove the sump end and leave it be, I cleaned the gunged up tube by passing through a small bottle cleaning brush end,tied to 2 bits of string so I could pull it one way then the other
View media item 96869I blocked up the sump exit and circulation outlets so as not to get tube gunk down there and as well as using the brush I had a 200mm sryinge that I blasted through the tube.
Put all back together and tested and sure enough the tube to pressure thing connection started to weep, I could see water getting past the o ring. So I thought it a good idea to add a jublie clip to very- very slightly squeeze the outer pipe to the o ring --- this made it worse as the part of the clip that is double thickness distorted the outer tube.
I had a good look at the o ring and it was perished, so I brought a 36 size set of o rings for £8 and sods law again it did not contain the exact size needed. I had the correct diameter but not the thickness (too thin ) my next size up was too thick, what I did in the end was use the thick one but a little small so the stretching made it thinner and that was a very good tight fit, I noticed that there was another recess available and so I added another o ring there here's a picture, forget the 25mm that's wrong.
View media item 96874
So far so good, I also attempted to test the temperature, all be it from the outside and got 55 degrees and so I would of thought that inside would be hotter, im not sure how acurate my temp guage is either but it is very uncomfortable to leave your hand on the top, even with my numb thick skin hands.
View media item 96873So there you go --- I wonder if I will get another 16 years out of it (I don't think so )

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Another dishwasher saved from the scrapheap.

My 16 year old Bosch dishwasher was failing to clean properly. Very little water inside. Zero cleaning on the top shelf, and very little on the bottom.

I did this to my Bosch dishwasher:
- Remove top panel (unclip at the back)
- remove side panels (2 screws at the front)
- unclip 2 pieces of plastic base at the front
- remove metal panel at the base at the front
- gentle tug to remove the white ridged pipe connecting the fill to the sump
- clean out the calcified gunk from the pipe
- reassemble

And hey presto, back to full working order.

Thanks to everyone one who kindly posted solutions to this problem. I managed, with the help of you guys, to take the sump pipe off completely and clean it. It was pretty much sludged up. I also managed to clean the sludge out of the pressure chamber with a thick bendy cable tie! Instant success, it hasn't been working well for years and I can see why now. Saved us having to buy a new dishwasher for the moment. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back