Bosch Exxcel 1200 Express Washing machine - Drum not turning

Fixed it by following the directions on this website (changing brushes). Recommended changes are however:
1. ONLY use genuine parts
2. The back does NOT come off the model I have but managed to get access by turning it on its side and removing the panel
3. I fitted the brushes without having to take the motor off

Total repair time was about an hour and a half.

Good luck

Snagglepuss

Sponsored Links
hi this is my first post so here goes> ive had the same problems with this machine. the drum wont spin. ive changed the brushes which were very worn, still wont spin. i here people go on about a thermal cut out on the motor ive had the motor in pieces and i cant recognise anything that can be replaceable however there is a small square piece with numbers on that is not extractable is this the thermal cut out if so how do i bypass it. thanks for any help.

The thermal cut-out (klixon) is there for a reason & should not be bypassed. You may have a motor fault that caused it to trip in the first place. However if the motor is ok and the cut-out itself is faulty it may just be possible to replace it with one of these little fellows. Otherwise I am afraid you will have to buy a new motor.
http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/Wash...01600+Hotpoint+GDA+Motor+Thermal+Cut+Out.html

hi thanks for the help but would i have to solder this in place (never soldered before) the item you showed me has two wires coming from it whereas the one in my motor is a solid piece that doesnt seem to be removable do i just bypass it?
had the motor in bits half a dozen times getting a bit peed off might try insurance if this doesnt work. thanks for your time and help.

Sponsored Links
The link I attached in my last post is about as close as you get to a replacement thermal cut-out for your motor. The cut-out is integrated in the brush holder assembly & is not really designed to be replaced. It can be done with some tricky surgery and a soldering iron. But unless you have appropriate test equipment to check the integrity of the motor windings then it may all be to no avail anyway. The cut-out will prevent your house burning down should the motor suffer a severe overload or short circuit. That is why it should NEVER be bypassed. Play safe & buy yourself a new motor :eek:

If you have access to a voltmeter (DVM) try this:

The connector block on the motor has 8 terminals. Each outter terminal doesn't seem to be connected anywhere on my model but I did a resistance check between all the other terminals and got:

Between 2 & 3 about 60 ohms
between 4 & 5 about 25 ohms
between 6 & 7 about 16 ohms

That confirmed that none of the windings were short or open circuit.

How that helps

Snagglepuss

Hi, can anyone offer any pointers here.

My Bosch WFL 2871 drum won't spin. It fills and drains okay, just won't do anything else. Drum doesn't turn on neither wash or spin cycles.

I put it on 'spin' cycle but all it does is attempt to drain - i took the filter out and can see the pump impellar spinning.

I did think it might be the brushes and was about to change them out.

However, the fact that the pump keeps turning made me think it might be an electronic problem - the machine isn't giving the motor a signal that the draining has finished?

What do you think?

Could it be just the brushes with those symptoms?

Cheers in advance for any pointrs.

To answer my own question, and in the hope that someone else will benefit....

Yes, the brushes were the problem. Took them out and they're down to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. One shiny (so looks like still contacting) but one is dull.

So I'll fit some new and hope to save myself a few hundred quid!

Cheers.

I know this is an old post but...

My machine's drum has stopped turning.

When I put it into spin mode, I can hear the motor making a noise - could that still indicate that the bushes need replacing??? OR does it mean that I need to replace the band?

Any help would be appreciated before I order spare parts and have a go!

Thanks.

Take the lid off and see if the band commonly known as the belt , if it's still attached the look and the brushes not bushes no such thing, how to remove them go to you tube.

Hi - Same story, replaced carbon bushes and the drum now turns BUT the spin doesn't work. Any ideas please :/

Thanks in advance!

Was the old brushes worn down. Are they seated properly

Yes, old brushes were worn right! Reckon new brushes have been installed properly. About to have a go at ensuring all water is drained and filter clear to see if that makes a difference. Could be sensors perhaps? Any advice appreciated!

Well, I did it!
I replaced the brushes!
It took me half an hour and cost me £12!

I didn't take the motor out as my spanners were either to big/small.
So I did the first one facing up, and the second one by feel and using 'opposite' thinking! That was the difficult one.
The old brushes were down to half a centimetre!

Now I have a WM that's running like new!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back