Bosch Exxcel 1200 Express Washing Machine F18 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Bosch Exxcel 1200 Express Washing Machine which is just over two years old.

Sometimes the programs work, but often it just stops full of water displaying F18 which I assume is a fault code.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be ?

Thanks . :confused:

Sponsored Links
F18 is a drain issue. Check the filter for coins, hairpins & other junk. It is all explained in your user manual.

F18 is a drain issue. Check the filter for coins, hairpins & other junk. It is all explained in your user manual.

Thank you very much - I checked the filter and found a 5p coin, a bit of copper wire and some fluff in there. That was probably the source of the problem - I'll see how I get on with the next few washes my wife does.

It's a weird filter - I assume the idea is that there's just a small gap so that nothing big can get past it ?

Thanks again for your advice ! .:cool:

The washing machine continues to stop showing an F18 fault.

I've checked the drain filter again and that is not the problem ?

Any suggestions on what I should check next ? . :confused:

Sponsored Links
Check the drain hose isn't blocked, restricted, kinked etc & make sure the kitchen plumbing is in order. Empty the water via the emergency drain then remove the filter. Check with your fingers that the pump impellor turns freely & there is no excessive slack. Run the machine on a drain program with the filter removed. Visually check that the impellor runs freely & evenly.
F18 is a pump timeout error. There is a restriction someplace or the pump is defective & needs replacing. The only other thing it could be is a partial blockage in the tub sump hose. Good luck :D

Thanks Zipper

I did a lot of investigating last night. No problem with obstructions / kinks on the drain hose. No problem with the pump impeller.

I took off the sump hose to check for blockage. There was some hardened detergent residue above the ball in the sump hose, but nothing that should cause an obstruction. The white tube ( with tube attached that goes up to the pressure sensor ) was also clear. I blew out the tube from the sensor end - No blockage found.

I'm not sure what the exact purpose of that ball in the sump hose is - I guess it must act as a valve of some kind...

I reassembled everything. It's tricky putting the sump hose back onto the drum, but I pushed the hose up against the stops and I tensioned the clip back to the original position - the last thing I need now is a leak that floods my kitchen !

I'll have to see if the (intermittent) problem still exists. If it does then I think my next step will have to be to order a new sensor - Any idea where I could get one ?

Try these chaps for spares: http://www.casaparts.co.uk/
Pressostats don't fail very often. I would be inclined to believe the problem lies elsewhere.
BTW. The plastic "eco ball" in the sump hose (common on most washers these days) functions as non return valve. It initially allows water to flood the sump hose, but once it has filled, this ball floats up and effectively seals off the tub. Once that has happened detergent can safely be flushed into the washing machine but none will go into the sump hose. It should also stop your washer getting back-flushed by foul water should you get a drain issue.

Thanks Zipper

I'll have one final check tonight that there's no obstruction in the drain standpipe or U-bend, although the machine drains with some force when I put the hose into my sink, so I would have thought that if there was any restriction at the standpipe then water would have backed up and spilt out the top of the standpipe.....

If that's OK then I can't really see what else it can be apart from the pressostat - particularly as it's only an intermittent occurance - It doesn't happen every wash. I would therefore have thought it was unlikely to be a PCB fault.

Thanks for the explanation of the function of the Eco-ball. I am a technical man, but (obviously from my posts ! ) don't know much about washing machines and this had me stumped.

Does the pressostat only detect whether the drum is drained or not ? - I presume that some other level switches are used to control the water level in the drum ?

Thanks very much for your advice - It's much appreciated.

you might have a lazy pump and it cuts out when used alot. once it cools down it will work.

you might have a lazy pump and it cuts out when used alot. once it cools down it will work.

Thanks for the suggestion - Sounds possible. Sometimes it stops with the drum almost full, other times it stops with the drum drained. And it does work again if you switch the machine off for a while after getting the F18 fault and then switch the machine on again..... :idea:

Do you have any idea what the cause / cure for lazy pump syndrome might be ? . :confused:

its only a coil poss worn out, it cuts out when used, once it cools down it will work ,just change it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back