Bosch Exxcel 1600 Washing Machine Intermittent Motor Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is an odd one! The machine works fine for a few weeks then the motor stops working completely, ie drum does not turn at all. No fault codes, fills and drains etc fine.
Same process each time:
Confirm the fault, pull the machine out, remove the back, test it again and it works fine!
I've changed the brushes, cleaned the motor, cleaned the plug, checked the wiring and pulled it around in case of a break somewhere. But nothing will reproduce the fault.
When pulling it out, I did not even turn the drum. (However, previous occasion I did try rotating and wiggling the drum before pulling in out, with no results)
Has me baffled so far!
Any ideas welcome.

Sponsored Links
If the old brushes were worn down & did indeed need replacing then I would recheck them & make sure they are not sticking in the holders. After that I would de-oxit all the motor plug connections.

UPDATE & FIX
Finally found the problem! The motor stopped again and this time the fault was reproducible. Got the motor on the bench and found that the connection from the socket to one of the brushes was open circuit. Very unusual.
Impossible to see where the wire runs internally in the motor, but clearly it has broken somewhere.

The fix was to solder a new wire onto the back of the socket (the rear of the pins are exposed) and run it externally around to the far side of the motor to the brush spade terminal.
Sorted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back