Bosch Washing Machine WFE2021/2821 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with this.........Our washing machine (Bosch WFE2021/2821) started playing up and not finishing the wash cycle. It stopped about halway through with a beeping and a display indicating number 3 fault = Spinning & Rinsing : Blocked Outlet Hose, Drain Pipe Or Pump. See Manual Procedure For Cleaning Pump. The machine would be left full of water with no spin and would have to be drained down.

We've cleaned the pump (there was a hair clip inside), cleaned out all the hoses and plastic pieces (mostly full of thick gunk) & replaced the brushes in the motor. All seemed good when it was restarted but the water flow and spin was very noisy but halfway through the beeping and no 3 display fault came back again.

Just tried it again on a short wash, water is going into the machine but the beeping started after a couple of minutes with fault message no 01 = Spinning - Tap Has Not Been Turned On, Turn Tap On And Press Start Button, Filters In Water Inlet Are Blocked, See Manual For Cleaning Procedure.

I've cleaned the hose inlet filters (a little bit of limescale was on the cold) ,water is back on and flows through both hoses cleanly.

Started a short wash and it's filled with water ok, running the full cycle with no fault messages but hasn't drained or spun yet, the timer has been on 1 minute left for the last ten minutes and is still slowly washing.

The drum is sounding a bit strained & squeaky but is turning ok, maybe the belt tension/placement at the back needs adjusting....there's a bit of back turn as it stops.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Still no luck with this....

Checked & cleaned all the pipes, replaced brushes but keep getting fault number 03.

Machine fills, washes slowly through most of the cycle, beeps with 03 flashing, does not drain or spin.

How do I check the brushes are in correctly?

Is there a way to check the pump is working?

Lastly is there anything on the circuit board to check?

Check if you fitted the brushes the right way around. They have a taper that needs to follow the commutator profile. You could check the pump by manually emptying any remaining water then run the machine on a pump cycle without the filter fitted. You should be able to observe the impellor turning.

Check if you fitted the brushes the right way around. They have a taper that needs to follow the commutator profile. You could check the pump by manually emptying any remaining water then run the machine on a pump cycle without the filter fitted. You should be able to observe the impellor turning.

Thanks, I'll take another look at the brushes....I have done that test on the pump and the impellor spins ok.

Sponsored Links
Re checked the brushes and the motor turns both ways smoothly without any clicking. Connectors are back on.

Now when the machine is back on it makes a constant noise and seems like it's stuck/frozen. If I turn the settings dial I get 11 -13 minute wash times showing with no movement.

How old is this machine? When you ran the pump did it run evenly or did it run a little rough? Can you reach the impelllor with your fingers (obviously not when it is running). Does it have a slight magnetic resistance when you turn it or does it turn very easily round without magnetic resistance. Check if there is any side-way slack on the impellor that could indicate a damaged bearing. Then remove the drive belt, open the door and rotate the drum by hand. Does it turn freely without noise? does it stick at any point?, is there any up/down slack when you lift the drum?. Are you sure your plumbing is in order, no blockages etc? And lastly can you tell me why did you changed the motor brushes?
A long list I know, but this is for your good...not mine.

How old is this machine? When you ran the pump did it run evenly or did it run a little rough? Can you reach the impelllor with your fingers (obviously not when it is running). Does it have a slight magnetic resistance when you turn it or does it turn very easily round without magnetic resistance. Check if there is any side-way slack on the impellor that could indicate a damaged bearing. Then remove the drive belt, open the door and rotate the drum by hand. Does it turn freely without noise? does it stick at any point?, is there any up/down slack when you lift the drum?. Are you sure your plumbing is in order, no blockages etc? And lastly can you tell me why did you changed the motor brushes?
A long list I know, but this is for your good...not mine.

Thanks, Here we go then....

The machine is approx 5 years old.

I't did sound a bit rough but put it down to the removed casing of the machine.

The impellor (The fan looking piece behind the filter) turns freely by hand without any magnetic resistance. It doesn't have sideways play but does move backwards and forwards.

With the belt off, door open there is no sound when the drum spinning the drum. It doesn't stick.

There's no obvious slack up and down on the drum.

Plumbing is ok, water runs from the outlet hose into the drain. The only pipe that hasn't been cleaned is from the bottom of the drum with a ball inside.

The last time a similar thing happened it was the brushes so tried that first.

Phew ...................

Change the pump.
It might look ok running light but can stick or trip out when on load. There should also be a degree of magnetic resistance, if it hasn't got that then time to fit a new one. While you're at it take a peek in the sump hose (the big one under the tub). Sometimes you find the odd sock in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back