boxing in a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As we were desperate for hot water - had a new wall mounted boiler fitted in the kicthen last oct. Regret had to fit onto the breeze block/brick and now want to plaster the rest around it.

What's the best solution and should you = box in a boiler (the vent goes straight outside thro wall)

Is there a product you can buy ie a metal enclosure (as it is adjacent to hob)
if possible ??

Presume this should be done before plasterers come - if not how will they work around it ?

Sponsored Links
Most boilers can be boxed in as long as a minimum distance is left inside. Some need ventilation in the boxing and the Instructions need to be read very carefully before doing anything.

Heat from a cooker can damage boilers. I am dealing with one at the moment. The manufacturers dont warn about this because the CORGI installer of the boiler or cooker is meant to ensure its not put at risk. The one I am dealing with did not!

If you must box it in the minimum acccess for maintenance has to be provided otherwise we cannot repair some faults.

Tony

can you see this pic ?
the hob is just below where the metal pan is - would prefer a metal enlosure but its not something I would tackle myself - am not moving it again ! I am planning to squeeze in an extractor over the hob
[GALLERY=media, 3869][/GALLERY]

I may be able to move the hob left a bit as will have to be removed if i get brave and start again - but only so far as the leccy and wall will allow

Sponsored Links
that looks like a wooden cupboard below the pan not a hob?

the hob is roughly underneath the plug socket and hole in the wall where the last extractor was
the 'cubboard is the remains of the last cooker hood and it rests on a 30cm shelf - then the hob - in 30 cm from the back of the boiler
was installed by professionals :confused:

If it were a gas hob then about 760mm clear is required above it before any cabinets! However, a gas boiler is easily damaged by heat so a much greater distance would re required.

If its electric then the boiler installer would expect that after 30 minutes with all the rings on then the temperature at the boiler would not exceed about 30°C. In any case the boiler would be likely to be damaged by steam from cooking!

I dont expect that ANY heat producing device is permissible under the boiler, not even a clothes iron!

Tony

WHat??
No sign of a hob.
Is that a fan at 350, 600?

16904882al5.jpg

will have to have a word with the installer again but there's nowhere else to put it ! the hob is under the silver saucepans below the socket and black pipe
would boxing it in help or would the steam get stuck ?

ignore everything directly under the boiler it's just resting there

Is that a copper condensate pipe going out through the wall on the left?

Tony

the furthest away I can move the hob (gas) is 500mm from the back wall (behind the wall) currently 300mm

Can you sketch what you want? Try MS Paint. Half a dozen shapes and delete what you don't want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back