'Boxing in' a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had a new boiler fitted in the kitchen (Baxi 105e). It sits on the wall in the corner of our kitchen about 12" or so above the kitchen worktop.
The "ball and chain" has decided that she would like me to make up some sort of cupboard using MDF panels which matches the rest of the kitchen units to box in the boiler and effectively conceal it from view.
There is a large flue which exits the house above the boiler (near to the ceiling) and a lot of plumbing underneath.
I think I am going to have to 'box in' the whole corner of the room around the boiler unit and fit a hinged door for access to the boiler.

Does anybody have any tips they would like to share for this type of job before I go ahead and buy the MDF panels?

I am also concerned that if I box in the boiler unit does this mean that the boiler will not breathe properly. In other words - Do I need to modify my new units and include some sort of ventilation panel so that the boiler isn't starved of oxygen? Might sound like a stupid question I suppose but doesn't the boiler need constant ventilation to burn properly? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
find the installation book it has all the req and nessecary measurements in it remember to go over rather than under on the size as it may need dismantling at a later date for repair :LOL: you should be alright for 3 maybe 4 years before any probs arise on this model :LOL:

bripl said:
find the installation book it has all the req and nessecary measurements in it remember to go over rather than under on the size as it may need dismantling at a later date for repair :LOL: you should be alright for 3 maybe 4 years before any probs arise on this model :LOL:

3 or 4 years!?!? That good?
The plumber who fitted it for us warned us about how these newer boilers aren't anywhere near as good as the old boilers because all the internals parts are made out of plastic and not metal. I bought it because a bloke I know at our local PlumbCentre reckoned it was the best boiler available for the money at that time. Better keep my fingers crossed :confused:

you can get all the clearances out of the book, and if youve lost it, you can find it at www.partsarena.co.uk/baxi

the internal parts are made of plastic, as its cheaper to produce, DOSNT CORRODE, and cheaper for the customer if it dose fail....

also newer boiler wont be as reliable as your 30 year old boiler as all that had on it was a gas valve and thermocouple.......

also, the 105 dosnt have many plastic parts in, as the diverter valves and presure diff is mado out of brass, the only big plastic bit is the pump manifold.......

for access to the boiler, you need to make sure that you have access underneath, so as you can get to the valves, and to fit somthing underneath to collect water if you have to drain it down.

at the sides, i 'think' the clearences are about 10mm,

the only major repair the cant be dont to the boiler in situ is the expansion vessel at the back of the boiler if you flue is going out of the rear of the boiler and has been cemented in. then the boiler would have to be lifted off the wall. apart from that, everything can be done with the boiler in situ.

the other alternitive is to hang your cupboard by hook brackets, so it can be remover if needed...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back