Brake & Reverse Lights inoperative.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey i'm new to these forums so please go easy on me if I don't post enough info or have posted in the wrong place.

Make: Rover MG
Model: ZS 180
Engine size/Type: 2.5 Litre V6
Year: 2001/2002

Problem: My brake lights and reverse lights stopped working.

The brake light build into the boot (above rear window) is still fully functional, however the main brake lights are not working, neither are the reverse lights.

The rear fog lights and the tail lights are fully functional. My driver side sidelight is also flickering however I believe that is a completely unrelated problem caused by the led lights not drawing enough power and confusing the car's computer.

What I have tried/checked so far:

I checked all fuses and none look damaged or blown.

I tested all bulbs from the brake and reverse lights in the tail light sockets and all bulbs are fully functional in that socket, just not in their own.

I checked the cables in the rubber tube between the boot and the car (one of the cables shows signs of wear which resemble being burnt out but I don't think is it) Picture here: http://i.imgur.com/ypr6l.jpg

I know the red cable in that image looks damaged but that was just dirt/gunk from years of sitting there I guess, image of the red cable after i cleaned it: http://i.imgur.com/3At4N.jpg

My mechanical knowledge is severely limited, as is my wallet size which is why I have not taken it to a garage to get it looked at, any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
are they mounted in the boot lid?

No, the light that is mounted in the boot lid is the one that's still working. I only checked those cables as it was suggested on an MG forum as a possible cause, never made sense to me.

are they earthed with a wire? Is the earth wire working at both ends?

(you will need a multimeter, or at least a test probe)

Sponsored Links
are they earthed with a wire? Is the earth wire working at both ends?

(you will need a multimeter, or at least a test probe)

Sorry if my knowledge is lacking but how would I be able to tell if they are earthed with a wire?

continuity test

What will I need to buy to test it, a multimeter/test probe like you said?

I checked halfords and the multimeter is sittiing at almost 60 quid, can't see anything under test probe, is there another name for it?

Would that thing I linked do the job? No Wilkinson around here, though I just popped into halfords and they have a mini multi meter at £20 or that thing I linked at 12.99, can afford either, which would you recommend?

multimeter

they sell them in hardware and DIY shops.

Ok found the one you linked from Wilkinsons in homebase for 16, got that, next step?

With the side lamps on, what happens when you press the brake pedal....do they dim or go out? Try the same test with the indicators on.
John :)

With the side lamps on, what happens when you press the brake pedal....do they dim or go out? Try the same test with the indicators on.
John :)

No change was noticable with the hazards on, I only have one functioning side light atm but it did not dim or anything when the brake pedal was pressed. for good measure I also tested with fog lights and stuff on to see and there was no dimming.

Sponsored Links
Back