Brakes On 2010 Peugeot Partner Tepee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question about how fast rear disc pads wear. Our previous cars have had rear drums.
Just had a quick look at the pads. Fronts are at well over 6mm or thereabouts. Rears appear to be about the same. Possibly a tad less.
I know we're pretty light on the brakes, and we don't do a great mileage. I know there's a fair bit of mileage on the fronts yet, I'd assume that the rears should do quite a bit more mileage than the fronts? Any thoughts or advice please?

Sponsored Links
Usually the rear pads last for years, friction material wise.....however the discs usually corrode on the inner face first!
There's also a good chance that the lining material will start to split away from the pad back plate due to water getting in and causing rust.
I think its always a good move to strip the pads out yearly, just to keep them free and to check the slider pins for the same.
John :)

Thanks John. I'll have a look at them before the next service. I've been having this one serviced (which is probably mostly an oil change :)) by the dealer. They're not too bad actually, but I doubt whether they strip anything down to look.

Almost guaranteed the garage will just have a look, Dave - a strip down is most unlikely!
They are easy enough to do, so long as you remember the calliper piston cant be pushed back to allow the pads to come free....that, of course, has to be pushed back and turned at the same time.
I have to say, rear disc systems don't really like our eternally damp climate!

Sponsored Links
Car's garaged, and doesn't really do a great mileage. Still they get plenty of chance to get wet down here in Sunny Cornwall!
Do you happen to know if those sub £20 wind back kits on eBay are any use for occasional use?

I use a Laser wind back tool - approx the same price, I guess.
The anvil that locates onto the piston fits many vehicles too.

I happily use a large screwdriver on my 206cc.

On my older 406 the rear discs are a bit odd. The n/s is quite rusty and badly scored on the outside only although the slide pins seem quite free.

As far as I can tell the piston is still moving although I have not dissembled it to make sure the calliper is not seized. Will be doing that in a week or so.

Again, and oddly, on my 206cc the same rear n/s outside disc surface is badly scored too, but not rusty. On that one the slide pins are fine and the calliper not seized.

Tony

Thanks for the screwdriver tip. I'll get the tool though I think, assume that it'll pay for itself with one use.
I prefer to do brakes myself if possible. Seen and heard of too many nasties done over the years by the experts.

Sometimes the pistons wind in no problem, sometimes they don't - its just the luck of the draw.
Most pistons wind back in clockwise, but some are anti clock, including some Mondeo and Renault vans. If you are trying to wind in the wrong way, the piston has a tendency to force itself back out which gives us some clue. All retractors need to be set up dead square to prevent jamming, though - a bit of practice needed!

Sometimes the pistons wind in no problem, sometimes they don't - its just the luck of the draw.
Most pistons wind back in clockwise, but some are anti clock, including some Mondeo and Renault vans. If you are trying to wind in the wrong way, the piston has a tendency to force itself back out which gives us some clue. All retractors need to be set up dead square to prevent jamming, though - a bit of practice needed!
Thanks John, I shall bear that in mind when I do them. They can wait until before the next service though, doesn't seem to be much wrong at present (famous last words)
It always amazes me how tough in general the brake components are. Has to be about the most hostile environments imaginable for any sort of mechanical gear.
I may well do the next service myself, although it's been on offer at the dealer the last couple of times and relatively cheap with the MOT, it still isn't exactly "cheap". I certainly don't want them doing any other work on it, I was sat listening to other customers paying last time I went. I think "ouch" would be the polite term, although I probably thought something else!

If you intend to keep the van for a good while Dave, its a fair move to crack each bleed nipple open occasionally, and keep it plastered in grease.....for some reason, the French stuff uses small (8mm) nipples which round off or snap dead easily. For once, Ford are ahead of this game!

A small G clamp is what I usually use. Just apply a gentle pressure on the piston with it, and then turn it with water pump pliers or Mole grips on the outer rim of the piston (the bit beyond the dust boot). It takes a while, but usually works. You have to keep nipping-up the g clamp.

Pad wear is tricky to predict. All things being equal, you'd expect the rears to do less, but manufacturers sometimes "fine-tune" the braking effort by changing pad material, so on this vehicle, the rears could just be a softer pad. Also, of course, they and their discs are likely to be smaller.

Sponsored Links
Back