Brand New Worcester Boiler - System Pressure Zero

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a brand new Worcester combi bioler installed a fortnight ago, and was not advised how to fill it up if the system pressure dropped.
I cannot get the contractor back until mid-week and have no heating or hot water!
I have read some similar threads, but not entirely sure what to do.
Have had a similar issue with a previous boiler and simply had to turn a tap to refill it, so am really struggling here with this more complicated version - and why do none of the manuals help?
I have tried to fit the system key as instructed but cannot see a tap of any kind attached to the water inlet to turn once the key is in place. Do I have to turn a screw or a knob or something as well as push in the key?
The only tap is at the bottom of the airing cupboard, and nothing seems to happen whether I turn it on or off!

Sponsored Links
See faq section, about nmber 39
The key might be clipped inside the bottom boiler panel -
You don't say what the boiler is...

On my Worcester Greenstar boiler you have to insert that plastic key shaped thing and turn it 90 degrees to connect the boiler plumbing to the filler tap.

There is also a white plastic hexagonal shaped plug next to the plastic key. Get your head right under the boiler and you will be able to see it - this is the tap (so to speak).

In the middle of the white hexagonal plug/tap is space for an allen key. Insert the appropriately sized allen key and turn to fill the system with water. It might take a few turns but do it slowly so you can keep an eye on the pressure level of the boiler as the system fills (it should only turn one way without force).

Make sure you keep it in the green on the pressure meter and don’t over-tighten the tap when you want to stop filling the system.

Obviously if the pressure drops again quickly you’ve got a serious leak somewhere so don’t refill the system over and over as you’ll just be pouring water into your house somewhere. Turn the boiler off at the wall and wait for the engineer.

Many thanks to you both.
I will have another bash tonight....not literally - in this case violence is definitely not the answer ;)

Sponsored Links
What kind of contractor did you employ who:-

Did not tel you how to fill it up.

Did not tell you over the phone how to do it?

Have you already paid them?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back