brass connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am attempting to change the heating element on my 21 yr old built in oven. I last did it about 5 or 6 yrs ago and noticed then that the earth connector looked corroded. Sure enough it came apart this time. It needed a ring connector and one that had wing type crimping lugs. I found some online and with great difficulty, as I can't get the drop down door off the oven and the earth wire is not very long, got one crimped on. The problem, as I have just realised is that the connector is brass and have found that brass only has about 28% electrical conductivity. Is it unwise to use as the earth connector? Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The problem, as I have just realised is that the connector is brass and have found that brass only has about 28% electrical conductivity. Is it unwise to use as the earth connector? Any advice appreciated.
I'm not quite sure what you mean - 28% of what?

Most of the terminals used in electrical accessories (switches, sockets etc.) and equipment are manufactured from brass, so I don't think you have any need to be concerned about its electrical conductivity.

In terms of mechanical considerations, I suppose some people might voice theoretical concerns about using a brass crimp (if that's what it is) on a copper conductor (if that's what it is), particularly if it's going to be subjected to appreciable heat, but I would not personally be concerned.

Kind Regards, John

The 28% is against copper. Personally as John says don't worry about it. It will be a lot more conductive than copper oxide, which will eventually form on a copper connection under those conditions.

In fact even Gold, often heralded (if not, implied) as the best conductor of electricity is still less conductive than copper, but its (lack of) corrosion characteristics make it ideal for high end audio connections etc.

So that's what you need, a nice, fairly inert metal compound that still conducts electricity. And for the masses, brass does that satisfactorily well.

The brass washer will be fine. As it's an earth connector, it's conductivity is important, but not desperate, as it won't come in to play until there's a fault.

Sponsored Links
The brass washer will be fine. As it's an earth connector, it's conductivity is important, but not desperate, as it won't come in to play until there's a fault.
Bit of a philosophical discussion point there. Any safety device that spends 99.99%+ not being used must perform well when called upon to do so.

"One should not conclude from this, however, that brass should never be used in electrical applications. There are instances where the superior tensile and machining characteristics of brass make it a better choice than copper as long as the sectional areas are increased proportionately to achieve the conductivity that a copper part would have in the application."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back