Break in 22mm Heating Pipe.... How best to mend ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I have a slight problem which i'm hoping that you guys can offer some advice...

I accidently cut a 3mm nick in a 22mm central heating pipe (non combi) under the floorboards of a bathroom.
Whats the best way to repair the problem because the nick is on the side of the pipe next to a joist and right on a gradual 20deg downward bend in the pipe, i think rules out a JG 2mm speedfit repair kit as this is long and rigid. Access is fairly limited as there's the joist & another pipe 10mm away from it. I've seen a 22mm flexible pushfit repair kit from, aahhm, B&Q..

Would this be the best way of getting over the bend but would it be ok as a permanent repair ?!?!?!?

Any advice or help would be greatfully appreciated as its a bit cold in the house at the moment :)
!B4FMBkw!mk~$%28KGrHqR,!i4EydvZy5BsBMoiQv4JWw~~_35.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Would it not be possible to just solder the small nick ?

I did just that when I touched a 15mm pipe with a jigsaw blade, it was a very tiny nick.

I just prepared the area as you would a soldered joint - a bit of flux then applied heat, ran in a small amount of solder - worked a treat. Never had any more trouble from it.

Obviously you will have to get any water out of the way.

Stoyer

He would be unlikely to get the solder to bridge the gap like that.

But there is a trick he could use! Get copper wire from the earth conductor on a 2.5mm power cable and wind that around the pipe and over the nick. That reinforces the solder which only has to bridge the gas between the wound wires.

Tony

Yes, I'll go with that. Use the copper wire to bridge to small gap.

Easy and a lot less hassle.

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
uumm, now there's a thought Agile, so i could clean the area, flux it, wrap copper wire around the pipe to cover the area and then solder all over the wire ???

would a 1/2" cross section of 22mm pipe soldered onto the area be better or worse ??

i appeciate your ideas guys :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back