Breakdancing Hotpoint Aquarius 1200 !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Breakdancing Drum!? :eek:

We have a Hotpoint Aquarius 1200 (WM 64) - today, it began making a terrific banging sound on spin and tried to breakdance across the kitchen floor!
Taking the lid off showed one of the suspension springs broken, but nothing else apparent. Running the machine showed the drum to be leaping around like a mad thing, even with the spring replaced. If switched onto one of the spin cycles, it runs up to high speed, then slows, speeds up again, slows and repeats the process.
Are there any other suspension supports or springs apart from those at the top, or should I be looking for another cause? (Worn motor brushes have been suggested, but I don't know if that would cause this problem)

Any ideas ? :idea: Help would be much appreciated!! :D

Sponsored Links
the outer tub is supported by 2 "legs" if one of these has gone it will laen to one side.

what were you wasing at the time?

So should the drum be at right angles to the front panel when viewed from above? It was only washing a normal load when this happened.

Sponsored Links
Even if they both look ok when examined?

The layout on my machine is similar to yours, but the drum angles slightly to the right (viewed from front).

tip m/c onto its back, look at the fixing for the "leg" (a pic would be good) is there any rust /splits?

Doesn't appear to be a problem - could the 'leg' itself go faulty (like a car shock absorber or damper)?

never seen one do it, altough i have had to change them, did you see any rust /splits, and please say you did put m/c on its back

Why does it need to go on its back?

Have changed brushes, by the way, but no improvement.

so you can look to see where its "legs" are mounted. looking from inside is not too good. tip it on its back and look at the mountings

OK...have had it on its back, legs mount directly into plastic outer casing, are secure at both ends and fixing nuts tight. Drum spins ok when empty, but it's when anything inside that the thing starts leaping around.

i think in this case its time to call hotpoint, not your local repair man :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back