Brick fireplace built into wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just uncovered a fireplace in my kitchen, which had been boarded up. I do not intend to use the fireplace and will be recovering with plasterboard (it was previously covered with chipboard - hence the unboarding, reboarding)

Having removed the boards, i have found the wall is not flat as I expected but the bottom half sticks out about 10cm, almost like a brick fireplace surround. Whoever previously boarded it up built a stud wall on the top half to bring it in line with the bottom half.

I would prefer to remove the 10cms poking out at the bottom to have the extra space (not much I know). My issue is that the bricks making up the surround appear to be intermigled with those mking up the wall and I am worried that removing it will destablise the wall?

There is a stack in the loft above. I assume that the part poking out is not supporting the stack above, but I may be wrong...?

Any ideas welcome. As a side note, the reason I would like the extra 10cms as my kitchen is small and I want to try an fit a table in.

View media item 86016 View media item 86017

Sponsored Links
That extra 4" is not contributing any thing to the structural stability. Because as you have noticed, every other brick will be bonded into the stack proper, so will have to be cut through. (drill a line of holes through them). You will then have to plasterboard the opening and get it all plastered flat. All in all a lot of work for an extra 4 inches.

I would put a lintel across the opening at a height of 6 feet or so and cut out all the brick work above the opening. This way for twice as much work you get an extra cupboard or set of shelves
Frank

Thanks for the quick reply and cupboard suggestion. Good to know it isnt suppoting anything, just have to decide whether it is worth all the dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back