Brick Slips or Cutting Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening Gents,

As you know my building work for my apartment to make it wheelchair accessible is going ahead. As it is going to be dusty job I would like to add some detail to the interior walls.

I just have a quick question about brick slips, brick cladding and brick veneers.

As these names are pretty much the same what do you think is the best process.

Some companies offer the brick slips in panels where you stick a panel of brick slips on a wall with adhesive and then fill in the gaps with cement paste.

Some offer them individually in boxes where you have to do individually put them on the wall with I guess cement.

Does anybody have any experience with these and now the best process which one to go for?

Also what type of material, real brick, clay or lookalike brick would you suggest?

And if you know of any cheap reputable companies that do this?

I also spoke to one of my friends and he said that it might be cheaper for myself to find a brick cutter and buy a load of secondhand bricks, obviously making the brick cutter make them into slips.

Is this a good idea and do you know of any cheap brick cutters in the Hampshire or Buckinghamshire area?

I will only need to buy this forum for a couple of months, apologies in advance if I'm getting on your nerves?

Kindest thanks,

JJSully

Sponsored Links
Pretty much personal choice I'd say. Maybe get some samples of each and see what they look like next to each other.

One thing though, I wouldn't even consider trying to cut your own slips from bricks. It can be done - I've done it - but it is hard and very messy work. By the time you've bought the bricks, hired/acquired the cutter and spent hours and hours cutting the slips it will work out costing a lot more than just buying the slips.

If its a flat, with no room for messing about, then look for brick slips or brick tiles ready cut. You can get some in boxes for 1m2 at £15-£30 a box which will be a lot less than having them cut.

You can also get whole 8x4 sheets of pretend bricks.

Just have a think about what you are trying to achieve, and whether brick slips are the best option.

Hi there appreciate the feedback, def food for thought....

I heard a brick cutter charges 30p a brick

Sponsored Links
Hi there - just curious, do you have a rough idea on what you're budget is per square meter for this? We had a look a few years ago and it was £££££!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back