Brick Wall Wobble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal for a brick wall to wobble a little during construction? Our extension is being built and so far its only up to 5ft above DPC on a single skin, external wall. Its this section that stops for the doorway (so not secured at one end). So I expect some wobble is normal?

I stopped wobbling as soon as it did for fear of weakening it.

Sponsored Links
You probably already have. Why didn't you just ask the builder?

I will ask the builder on Monday. I'd rather he know now if there was a problem then later when its built.

I don't know how much play should be in a wall, maybe a small amount is normal until its secured at the other end?

Single skin walls are unstable until they are loaded with weight. I guess when the door lintel is put in and the rest of the wall completed, it should be better. Sounds a bit iffy to me, because what happens when the door slams? What has happened to the inner skin? it and the wall ties will improve things immensely.
FWIW In a Victorian house I had ,the bit of brickwork in the gable over the front bay, 10 foot wide and 6 feet high was just balanced there, if you touched it it wobbled. So despite the wind on it, it has survived 100 + years, but no slamming doors.
Frank

Sponsored Links
As it's at present unrestrained by the roof and additional weight on top, and also on the dpc - which gives zero bond - it will wobble a bit.

Thanks all.

The inner skin will be coming up soon. The block and beam floor has gone in and is now waiting for BC inspection before continuing with inner wall I guess.

The profile of the wall looks like this at present if you can see what I mean below (will attach picture). Door and window not in, no wooden frame work yet for door or window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back