Bricking up old fireplace sanity check..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know there are a few threads on this, but want to double check some work I am currently doing.

Context:
Old (1929) semi D type building with 4 own door flats (as constructed)
Living room contained original fireplace with back boiler.
Heating system completely replaced with new gas combi (replacing hot water tank and storage heaters, loft tank no longer in use)
Fire not been used for years, previous owner had chimney swept in last few years.

Current work:
I have now removed the surround, most of the fire back and hearth, I kept in the back boiler and surrounding materials. The back boiler is fully disconnected, but I drilled a hole in it just in case. I removed/cleaned all debris and soot etc from the base.

Issues I want to confirm:

1. When removing the surround and brick, it appears the lintel was a very thin iron bar supported by two old brick columns either side. These columns still exist, but they were protruding and I cut the bricks back. Would this have been the actual lintel? I haven't yet removed the plaster above the fireplace, but surely there must be more support than one small thin bar?
2. Regardless of this being the lintel or not, the bar has came loose. Am I safe to brick up with any old brick? I bought these from B&Q and thought they would be fine. but if that was the lintel, do I now need a stronger brick?
3. I built in what I thought was an air brick, but is actually just a regular brick with holes. Should this be enough ventilation. Room is reasonably small - 4m x 3m.

Picture of work in progress attached.

fireplace.jpg

Thanks for any comments!

Sponsored Links
The iron bar you refer to is normal in older houses for chimney-breast support over the fire opening.
In the annual Best Brickwork Awards, I'm not sure yours would come near the top of the nominations, but it would do for the (small) load it will be carrying.
Is your plastering up to the same standard?:)

Remove the "air brick" and leave a void until you have plastered, then fix a plastic or plaster vent to the face of the c/breast to vent through the void.
If the "base" was full of debris and soot then its unlikely that the flue was swept - its in your future interest to have that flue and any other flues swept.
Whatever, forget about the "lintel" and finally just brick up.

The iron bar you refer to is normal in older houses for chimney-breast support over the fire opening.
In the annual Best Brickwork Awards, I'm not sure yours would come near the top of the nominations, but it would do for the (small) load it will be carrying.
Is your plastering up to the same standard?:)

hehe - yep my plastering is as good as my brick work - hence I am getting a real plasterer to skim the entire room and fix that mess!
That was my first ever brick laying experience - can you tell?

Remove the "air brick" and leave a void until you have plastered, then fix a plastic or plaster vent to the face of the c/breast to vent through the void.
If the "base" was full of debris and soot then its unlikely that the flue was swept - its in your future interest to have that flue and any other flues swept.
Whatever, forget about the "lintel" and finally just brick up.

cool - I will try and tease it out. The soot and debris was mainly from me ripping the rest out (or so I thought). I was going on the word of the previous owner (I bought in the summer) that is had been swept - but the thing was blocked with newspaper from 2011/2012 - so maybe not.. Below is an image of inside the chimney - what issues would my future self be experiencing if I never swept it now?

InsideChimn.jpg

Also - If I forget about the "lintel" will my top quality brickwork be enough to support it?

Sponsored Links
The flue is not too bad but your call?
Just brick up.

np - thanks!

Will pull out the air brick and get on with it.

Someone remember to dig out this thread in 10 years time when I am back asking about removing salts from the chimney breast plaster :D

What a strange question... what do you imagine might happen to a solid pile of bricks?
You havent tested the solidarity of my pile of bricks!

Plus - at the time - I wasnt sure if the 'common' bricks I got were strong enough - but it seems that wont matter for this size of job.

Also - the bricks above the metal lintel were sagging like hell (understandable after nr 100 yrs) and its the first time I have done such a job - so I probably got a little worried about the massive hole int he wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back