Bricklaying with soft washed sand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some 'soft washed sand' from the local builders merchant and have been using it to lay about 14m2 of brick/blockwork. I've been finding the mortar very difficult to work with, the water seems to come to the top pretty quickly ,and i keep having to mix it with the trowel every time i pick a bit up.

The mix is pretty standard, 1:5 plus a bit of plasticiser, mixed in cement mixer, but I just cannot get the "buttery" texture i was anticipating? Am I wasting my time with this sand??

Th sand is light in colour, yellow perhaps, and pretty fine.

Cheers in advance.

Nick

Sponsored Links
If its washed its probably plastering sand and so will have little or no 'fat' It will be very unpleasent to lay more than a few blocks with.

More plasticiser might help but if you over dose it the mortar will be very weak.

Thanks for the response, do you know what else i can use this for apart from rendering, rather than wasting it?

Sand blinding i suppose, or laying water pipe.

Paving? Weak mix concrete?

Use it for anything but brickwork.

Another problem used that this mortar is very rigid when set, and makes walls liable to crack.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for the info.

Might try blending a sample 50:50 with a proper building sand to see what sort of mix it produces, otherwise it'll be going in the ground one way or another!

Its good for pointing paving. Can be mixed 50:50 with grit/sharp sand for mortar for laying paving on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back