1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Bright idea needed

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Carlnorwich, 22 Dec 2010.

1. Carlnorwich

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I live in a private road, I have a small garden wall along the front of the house, then some pavement and then the road.

Dog walkers keep parking outside my house, half on the pavement/half on the road (in front of my gate). This causes problems when someone with a buggy, or wheelchair try and get through my gate.

They only have to drive a little further and they can park without causing problems to anyone.

I want to discourage them from parking there, has anyone got any ideas of how I should do this?

I thought about raising the kerb a touch, or putting a couple of bollards on the pavement, I will have to speak with Planning. Before I go to the planners I thought I'd see if anyone had any better ideas?

Many thanks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. freddymercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As a private road, do the residents own the road or does the council own the road yet the residents are responsible for its upkeep? Is there a residents association or company paid to organise its upkeep? You’ll need to discuss it with the other residents/management company before you do anything.

Have you tried speaking with them?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. RedHerring2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could try a visit to your local councillor's surgery. Always helps to have them on-side.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Carlnorwich

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's a private road, the residents are responsible for the upkeep, we have a management company that takes care of it.

Before I go to them, I wanted to have an idea of what I wanted, like the bollards idea.

5. spraggo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Try butting a notice on your gate, reading "PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN FRONT OF GATE, INVALID ACCESS SPACE NEEDED"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. nickdsjnk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    on a road I visit regularly there is a large grass verge which cars ruin by parking on. The residents have taken to protecting them with sections of tree trunk (presumably donated by local tree surgeons). Would this work here?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Carlnorwich

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately there is no grass verge. It goes; pavement then road.

8. ColJack

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    a couple of well placed scratches with the buggies will solve the problem..
    or buy a cheap can and park it out of the way for you but in a position that makes it impossible for them to park there..

A laminated signs explaining that it is a private road and any accidental damage to a persons car is not covered by their insurance would probably help too..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. imamartian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A daft idea maybe, but paint a yellow chevron'd area in front of the driveway.. our brain tend to work better subconciously.... or buy an old wreck and park that on the road aganist the kerb, in that spot?

10. accelerator

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I like this idea, but I would make it a sign on a pole to look more like a parking sign, in bright colours - if you can live with it.

Rgds

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. RCjunior

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, this is a good idea. If you seen him/her parking there you could go out and tell them not to park here.

RCjunior

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. landscaperrich

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you happen to come across a couple of the yellow 'no parking' cones that the police use, plonk them on the pavement, see if that works!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. bluebedouin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could always put a couple of these up along the road.:LOL:
    Feel free to save & print the higher res' one here.

14. ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Let at least 2 of the b*****s tyres down.

Doesn't count as criminal damage but it doesn't half put a crimp in their ability to drive the car.

Another tip I heard once was to write on the windows in lipstick - apparently it is extremely difficult to remove, but again does no damage.

But really
    Try asking them politely - they may simply have no idea of the problems they are causing. That will also help give you a feel for whether they are likely to put a brick through your windows if you end up having to take more direct action.

15. JamesA

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What about putting a couple of plant pots/planters there for a couple of weeks so people get the idea?

They'd have to allow space past for a double buggy.

It could also be a problem having them there in the dark if someone trips at night. You might want therefore to bring them in at night.