Brilliant white gloss - which one will not yellow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's time to paint the interior woodwork again and I wonder who can recommend a brand that will not yellow in the dark. Last time I used Crown 'Once' as I wanted to cover very light cream. It worked a treat but two years on it has yellowed badly in areas that get little light. I was convinced for a while that I must have forgotten the back of the coat cupboard as it is back to a darker shade of cream than before I painted it white! The hall is bad too.
Although I used Crown 'Once' last time, I prefer a liquid gloss. Have used Dulux for 40 years until the problems of two years ago. Was always pleased with the result, perhaps they have fixed it? What about Johnston's liquid Brilliant White? Their undercoat seems good.
Don't mind what brand so long as it is very glossy and stays brilliant white.
Thanks for any comments.

Sponsored Links
Water-based white gloss does not yellow.

However IMO it is not as durable or glossy as oil-based.

Your choice.

Oil-based outdoors does not yellow as the sunlight bleaches it.

JohnD is right, i have found sikkens to be better in this whole yellowing fiasco, but as said it really does need to be water based / alkyd hybrid to avoid premature yellowing. I've found the best solution to be sikkens BL satura which is a satin

Thanks for the advice, but can't stand water base. Have used satin wood water base on some window ledges and no matter how hard I try, and I'm no beginner at painting, can't eliminate brush marks.
Perhaps they are better at applying now.
I would prefer gloss oil base for the doors etc. but will go out & have a look at Sikkens.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ignicolas, not sure of your point?
Nice under stairs ideas though on that website, although I now see the link has been removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back