British Gas 330 boiler f1 & f4, 2 different plumbers say nothing wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
My British Gas 330 boiler (glow worm) has been displaying f1 and f4 error codes.
Boiler is 7 years old. I have had 2 trustworthy plumbers round to look at it and neither can find any fault with it all. I was able to reset the boiler at first but now it won't reset at all.
I even bought a new thermostat (the hive thing) in case that was the problem, but to no avail.
Does anyone else have any advice or experience of this happening?
Many thanks
Kelly

Sponsored Links
How can anyone say its fine when its indicating faults and presumably not working?

Why has rated them as trustworthy?

Tony

Last edited:
The codes point to ignition failure, the boiler has been completely checked over, nothing is eroded or needs replacing, all in good nick. I trust both of these plumbers, both experienced and have done lots of work for me before.

But is the boiler working? Getting hot and all that?

If not, then its faulty even if these people you somehow trust cannot diagnose the fault. I am sure that I could!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Call a different engineer. I know what I would be checking first with this fault. And it isn't in the boiler;)

When I press the reset button the temperature starts to slowly rise but it doesn't ignite (no flames on the right hand side of the display). Every now and again when I reset it the temperature rises and the flames slowly appear, heating comes on, radiators heat up and hearing stays on for about 20 mins then flames disappear and hearing goes off.

When I press the reset button the temperature starts to slowly rise but it doesn't ignite (no flames on the right hand side of the display). Every now and again when I reset it the temperature rises and the flames slowly appear, heating comes on, radiators heat up and hearing stays on for about 20 mins then flames disappear and hearing goes off.

Right so its faulty.

How can any trusted plumbers not be able to see that its got a fault?

You need someone who has boiler repair capabilities.

Tony

I don't think that Transam recommends Graham White.

But he seems to get good reviews on Checkatrade.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back