british gas 330 open vented boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
Bit of a long one, so bear with me. I have one of these which i believe is a Glowworm re-badged, it was overheating quite a bit with water discharging into f&e tank, constantly venting rads all sorts of probs. I converted to sealed heating system, open vented hot water, didn`t really improve. Boiler temp climbs but heats 1 or 2 rads but eventually goes to lockout. System is microbore with manifolds (nightmare) but i have cut out manifolds and they are pretty excellent condition. Added central heating cleanser, no difference. Cleaned condensate trap, pretty clean to be honest. Upshot is, system is in good shape, I have always flushed and added inhibitor etc. Boiler kettles a bit but does get a few rads warm,however the return manifold isn`t. So I think it`s probably a scaled heat exchanger rather than blocked. I might be wrong and that`s why I`m asking you kind gents what you think. Is there a way i can clean heat exchanger by disconnecting boiler from flow/return circs, looping it then adding a strong descaler? Many thanks in advance for any advice. I`m an ex gas fitter and current plumber so i know my way round heating system almost.:whistle:
Just a quick addition, the fan sometimes revs before starting which i assume is probably fan/pcb issue, doesn`t ramp up but i`m assuming that`s because it overheats before it gets a chance. Think this is a separate issue or am i wrong?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back