Broadband Telephone Line Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hopefully this is in the right section of the forum.

I have just moved into a new house and am having problems getting a broadband connection. The previous owners of the property have told me they had no issues at all.

I reconnected the BT landline through BT's online system and my phone and sky lines work fine.

However, when trying to get broadband installed firstly through Sky themselves they informed me that they no longer offer the service in my area which they tested through my phone line. This is slightly odd considering I can pick up a wireless Sky broadband signal from one of my neighbours.

I have gone through several other providers using their online testing service who tell me there is service in my area but cannot give me a mb/s speed.

I've now used the BT broadband availability checker online which says the following:

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL2+ broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check."

The nearest Exchange point is in the exact same village as I live in.

I'm unsure whether the BT line has been activated correctly to enable broadband or if there is another issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Ben

Sponsored Links
What is the internal phone wiring setup of the house like? it may be that something unconventional with your phone wiring is confusing the line checker.

Thanks for getting back to me.

The only wiring is as follows. The main box is right by the front door but that is unuseable due to there being no plug socket next to it.

The phone/sky are setup as per the image attached.

Hope this helps.

can you open up the socket in that trunking and check it is indeed an extension socket and not a second master.

Sponsored Links
No other phone sockets for other sky boxes, fax, phone, intruder alarm etc?

Everything in your pics is everything you have?

If so, something doesn't tally.

Perhaps the service that initially tests the line is not upto date and is testing your old address (did you bring your number with you?).

It looks to be approximately 500 yards.

If you live that close to YOUR exchange you should be looking at 6-7mbps,go on a adaptive adsl and if the speed is slow get someone out to improve it.

I get 8128 sync from 700 yards away, so speed really shouldn't be an issue with that line unless the poles haven't been touched in fifty years.

With being that close to the exchange it would be over 6 meg....suspect you have false readings and it could be that socket you have unscrewed or wiring thats feeding it...suggest take from cover from nte which is the main socket and try to order again .....just for reference I am about 2k away from the exchange and get 4 meg so with being that close to the exchange should not be a issue

Agree with the others that at that distance you should be able to get much faster speeds. Even at 5 miles from my exchange I can get around 1.2 Mbps.

I am about 2k from the exchange by road, and the cables follow the same route.

I get very good speed for the distance.

UP: 288000
DOWN: 7616000

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back