Broken Bathroom Window Handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
As per the title, the bathroom window in my place is kinda knackered. It looks like an aluminium type window with a top opening which is lockable. Is it possible to buy replacement handles for these?
Lee

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Nice one, I will take a look, I had a quick look at scewfix and there was nothing called Espag on there, is there another name for these?

Its a standard PVC window handle really so they may call it something along those lines

"Espag" is short for "espagnolette" the type of mechanism. Some places list them under the abbreviation, some the full name.

Hi
Bought a handle but i have found that the ones that i have, have a bent bar? Is there a name for these? They appear to be manufactured by Halo
20150814_144703.jpg
20150814_144658.jpg

Attachments

• 20150814_144658.jpg
    20150814_144658.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 20150814_144658.jpg
    20150814_144658.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 139
I have emailed the above with some pics, to me it looks like they are bent but i can't think how its possible to bend something like that unless you are superman or something

Bummer. As I said it may be worth trying to swap the spindles over.
They can be stuck in there really well so practice on the new handle 1st. Your probably going to need a Vice, Mole grips, Pliers and possibly a blow torch to get them out.
Or you could try taking the handles to a local metal working place. They may be able to swap the spindles or cut and weld the old spindle onto the new handle or bend the new spindle as needed.

Resurrecting this one.
Been in touch with loads of handle people and they have never seen anything like this which is a bit of a bum. the only thing that I can think of is that the spindle has somehow been twisted/bent.
I still am not able to pull the spindle out but I have tried another handle with a straight spindle and it doesn't appear to catch onto anything.
For now I appear to have two options, buy another window (which I would rather not do) or replace the handle somehow. I have seen these cockspur handles which may do the job but my concern is the fixings into the window, from what I can gather, these are pretty knackered on mine but is there some way of securing these handles (bigger screw maybe - but then again its the hole in the handle itself that I have to match.
Do these cockspur ones come in different sizes? How would I be able to get the right size? (measure the distance between the two hole centers?)
Any help would be greatly appreciated on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back