Broken wooden Bed Slats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've got a double bed and it has got about 5 broken wooden slats on it! Its been bugging me for a while now so i've decided to do something about it before i get a bad back!

Should i just replace the broken slats with new lengths of wood? Would they just break again?

Or should i just remove all the slats and lay a big sheet of plywood/mdf on the bed frame?

Has anyone got any ideas or experience on this?

Its a double bed and i cant believe there are no supports in the middle of the bed. its no wonder it broke! The pieces seemed to snap where a knot was in the wood, for you info.

Thanks for anyhelp or ideas,

Paul :)

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo paul

normaly you get a leg going down in the centre
somtimes they screw in somtimes they just locate in a hole

the slats are for ventilation and yes they use poor quality wood for them

what i normaly do is complete one side using a bit of 2"by 1"[18 by 44mm]as the spacer so they are closer together disgarding any slats with weak points

then count the slats you have used subtract the good slats you have left then make new ones out of the 2 by 1 plus about 4 more 2 spares plus 2 extra slats as the 2by1 is a bit narrower than the slats

clear as mud eeehhh

What I did on one was to replace the broken ones and then fix a length of 2" x 2" under the slats down the centre of the bed, screwing it to each slat. Any weak slats are then supported by the ones on either side.

Sponsored Links
chappers said:
No mention of how they got broken in the first place ;) ;) ;)

His wife said she caught the kids jumping up and down on the bed when uncle Terry came round----trouble is they dont have any kids :LOL: not yet anyway :LOL: :LOL:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I used to make beds and i always used 9x1 1/4 sawn down in half for bed slats and they never broke, costs a bit more but the customers were always that bit happyier when they got something stronger------sounds good doesnt it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back