Broken wooden frame - how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have one of those beds with a wooden frame made of 4 wooden planks, and slats in the middle.

Unfortunately, being a heavy chap, I kind of put my full weight in the middle of the plank that forms one of the sides, and it snapped in two. The break wasn't really clean - it was quite jaggedy. I guess I'll take some pictures when I get home.

What's the usual way of fixing something like this? Is it to join it together by screwing more wood along the sides along the break, joining it together? Or is there some other, easier way?

Thanks muchly.

Regards,
Asfand

Sponsored Links
notch out a bit off 2x2" to fit over timber the slats rest on cut flush with the slat tops to the inside to hold level in the centre down to the floor
attach a similar width off plank to the front edge full length
screw from the back screw every 6-9"in a zigzag pattern
the new leg will reduce the load by 60% so if the new timber is slightly thinner it will still be twice as strong

Ouch - thanks for the replies... but is there no way of getting back to near full strength without adding an extra leg or replacing the timber completely?

I suppose the extra leg option will do if there is nothing else.... could I not simply screw some metal strips along the length of the timber over the break?

Thanks very much for the replies so far.

Regards,
Asfand

Sponsored Links
without labouring the point its not strong enough :LOL::LOL:
so you need to add 50% more strength or reduce the load by 40% :LOL:

if you timber now is 120x 28mm you would need 44x120mm or 22x 190mm

That gives me some options. I'll still consider the extra leg option, but I have a few more options to consider now.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back