Brown Dirty Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had plumber round to install new expansion Tank and I am wondering how long I could expect brown dirty water to last?
I have filled at least 5 bathfulls and still seems to be dirty any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have a water cylinder ?

What was wrong with the old F&E tank ? or do you mean cold water storage tank?

kenny4 said:
Just had plumber round to install new expansion Tank and I am wondering how long I could expect brown dirty water to last?
I have filled at least 5 bathfulls and still seems to be dirty any ideas?

Thanks

Basically, turn the boiler off, so the water is not getting heated (so you dont waste gas/electric), and just run the water until it runs clean. Its because few people bother to flush their tanks over the course of its life, so muck accumulates in the bottom of it. When the tank is run dry, the muck at the bottom of the tank is disturbed when water is added again, and must be run off with the water.

sterose said:
the muck at the bottom of the tank is disturbed when water is added again,
This is a new tank so I wouldn't of thought there be too much dirts etc....

I was wondering if it is by-passing via the cylinder coil but need more information first...

Edit - spelling error

Sponsored Links
It is a small 12L expansion vessel connected to my hot water tank I wonder if it is just the (water and membrane of vessel getting washed for first time flushing out?

kenny4 said:
It is a small 12L expansion vessel connected to my hot water tank
Normally the expansion tank is the feed for the heating system and the cold water storage tank is the feed for cylinder plus water supply.

Really need to know what type of heating system you have.

masona said:
kenny4 said:
It is a small 12L expansion vessel connected to my hot water tank
Normally the expansion tank is the feed for the heating system and the cold water storage tank is the feed for cylinder plus water supply.

Really need to know what type of heating system you have.

Actually, both tanks are considered "Feed and Expansion" tanks.

I assumed you meant your "cold water storage tank" had been replaced.

The expansion tank is the one in the loft(usually). The cylinder is the one that holds the hot water. Both contain muck after years of accumulation. If you empty them, and then fill them again, either will produce dirty water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back