BS5534 and old roof "repair"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand it BS5534 is law and is only enforced by NHBC and LABC, so only applies to a new. I've a house extension where I need some second tiles which I don't seem to be able to get. My plan is to rob the ones off the front of the garage and replace those with new and also replace the ridge to match the new house ridge. Tiles on house are then all aged and on visible side of garage are all new.

However, I don't want to get involved in bringing garage up to BS5534. It's stood for 30yrs with no problem so what would be the point, and I don't want to touch the back which is probably only nailed at the edges. House will comply with BS5534 of course. It seems to that the garage is a "repair" since I'm not actually changing any of it's specification. So LABC isn't involved and I can just use mortar for the ridge and the verge to match the rear verge. OK the new verge will look new so I could paint old and new if I want a better match. I could also colour the ridge mortar so it matched the dry ridge on the house better.

Opinions?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back