BT wiring before master socket... It's snapped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Bought a house and the previous owners had been playing about

We have underground cable which went to some grey box and was then connected to extension cable, run along an outside wall and ended up at a master socket.

The other day the phone line went dead. Seemed one of the cores in the jelly filled underground cable had degraded so much it crumbled in my hand.

Stripped it back a bit, reconnected to the 5a terminal blocks and extension and it all worked again.

Problem - Internet went from a previous 8mb connection to 1.2mb. This was never an issue before.

Now I took the extension out of the picture and connected the master socket directly to the underground main brown and white sheathed cable outside and I'm getting the full 8mb again.

How can this be when before it was working perfectly fine? It seemed to be the BT cable that was the issue, not the extension.

Now I know it's BTs cable but I'm only trying to fix someone else's mess.

Any ideas here please? I'm stumped.

I've currently got the master socket and filter outside my front door in a plastic bag connected to the drop/underground cable and the router cable posted through my letterbox just to get decent speed internet!

I could just pop the 5a connectors.back on with the extension and drop back down to 1.2mb!

Just to note, the extension was never a problem previously.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Will jellies be more effective than a connector strip? I thought a connection was a connection? Twisted wires, crimps, chocblocs etc

Sponsored Links
The connections in jelly crimps are protected from corrosion by being surrounded with the jelly and hence no moisture or oxygen can get to the joint.
Also, you can chop the ends off solid core wires with the screw in a chocblock. Jellies are made for the job...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back