BT wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to connect two sets of BT wires to form an extension in my house.

One set is the original telephone wires are they are

Orange
Brown
Green
Blue.

The new cable has the following coloured wires:

White
Red
Green
Blue.

Which colour connects with which colour please. If anyone can answer this for me they will save me a BT charge of £129.00p.

Many thanks.

Joseph O'Neill-Byrne.

Sponsored Links
The BT cable should terminate in a BT NT5E box, the type which the lower half of the front can be removed leaving the "BT Test" socket visible.

On the part which is removed, there will be three or more insulation-displacement connectors. It is to these you may connect your cable to the telephone extension socket(s)

You need to connect terminals 2 and 5. Colours are normally blue/white on 2 and solid blue on 5

As you are using a non-standard cable (it MUST have solid conductors, stranded will not make a good connections) then the colours you use are unimportant, just make sure you are consistent with the colour to terminal-number combination.

If, however, you do NOT have a BT NT5E socket, then all cabling is owned by BT, and interfering with it can land you a large bill. I would suggest, however, that if you do not have an NT5E, BT *should* install one FOC.

Orange and blue carry the dial tone. Try connecting those to 2 and 5 of your new box using whichever colours of your new cable you want to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back