Bubbles in wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just hung some wallpaper in my kitchen and its got loads of air bubbles in it. Will these go when it dries - will the paper shrink back?

Sponsored Links
Are they long 'bubbles'? vertical...more like big creases?

If so it means you havnt let the paer soak for long enough..they might go back they might not..pot luck really.

If they are rounded it could be you havnt brushed the paper out enough or paint on the wall behind is lifting...they might go back.

Just doing a job with thick backing paper before decorating. Here are some thoughts:

Bubbles can be formed by trapped by air/creases in paper i.e. not hung straight or backing material not taking the glue (old wall paper does this if you are papering onto existing wall paper)

Some cures:
1. Use a flat straight edge and gently push across the bubble to the nearest edge. This well help rid air bubble or any excess glue. Do this from more than one direction.
2. If the bubble is still there or has merely "moved" get a small syringe from a first aid kit (or buy one from a pharmacy). Take the syringe without the needle and draw glue into it. Make sure the glue is not too thick. Fit needle on and place the needle in the bubble so that it is a few mill UNDER the paper. Be careful not to go to deep and stick it into the plasterboard or old plaster. Gently squeeze glue into the bubble. The correct amount depends on the size of bubble and comes with practise. On big bubbles do this in several places along the bubble to ensure the area is covered?

Now take your edge or paper brush again and go over the bubble flattening it with its new "glue base" It should stick flat with a few strokes. Brush over from all directions. If there is too much glue then squeeze excess through one of the needle holes. More glue is better than too little.

This should ensure that you get enough glue in the bubble remove air and help make a goo bond. After this whilst the paper is drying there may be the odd small bubble that won’t go. These should dry out and flatten once the glue has fully dried.

Sponsored Links
Look at the date of the first post, I think perhaps the op would have done the work by now. ;)

Dec

Well spotted, dunno how I managed that! :oops:

Should have gone to Specsavers :eek:

Might come in useful for someone though. Who knows the OP might by re-decorating again by now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back