Build a conservatory over a sewer question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Planning a conservatory in our garden.

There will be no foundations involved, as it will all be surface mounted.

The water company websites do not mention conservatories nor do they mention when no foundations are involved.

This will be no different from any other temporary structure as building regs /planning are not required.

Should we be seeking build over permission? Or as there are no foundations is it not required?

In theory the conservatory could be removed.

All that is used is an existing concrete base, which has been there for many years, which is being slightly widened.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can you say what the original concrete base was for? and whether or not it, or a part of it, extends to encase concrete around the sewer. BC may have asked for this (if the base has had BC approval that is ;)) if that were the case then it would be simple to extend the part of the extended base in similar fashion, keeping on the side of authority.
Quick question; will you be using the conservatory as a living space, regardless that it can be dismantled?...pinenot

It was very old conservatory type lean-to.

I would say that it was erected in the 1960's.

The concrete base is around 3.2m x 2.6m

Yes, it will be a living space, but not subject to building control - they have confirmed it is exempt as is deemed to be a temporary structure and is separated via rear doors.

Currently we do not know if the drain even goes beneath there.

I would doubt that it encases the sewer as it is not as deep as that. The concrete is pretty much above the surface and not much below.

In fact the garden path is probably deeper.

Thanks.

Then you've basically answered your own question, extend the base and that's that...pinenot

Sponsored Links
Have I? LOL

All I know is that it is not subject to building control, not any possible build over?

The water companies website is not very helpful as it only talks about extensions and foundations.

Thanks

I didn't mean that the questions you posed are all answered but in my opinion there's really none to ask. your replacing one temporary building with another, BC's answer is an exemption. The sewer may or may not go under the existing slab, if that's not correct and it's only the additional slab sections, it's still exempt. All things considered any existing situation not changing 'per say' do not have to be questioned, thereby you have answered your own questions, unless I'm missing something?...pinenot

Managed to get the drain cover off today- the drain is around 600mm below the surface and just misses the edge of the conservatory.

So not going to worry too much.

Unless someone thinks I should :)

So not going to worry too much.

Unless someone thinks I should :)
I have never known conservatory builders worry about drains before...or gas pipes.... or any other services or bother with adequate foundations or pay attention to the normal rules of building.

Crack on.

pretty sure they changed the regs you cant build an extension or conservatory over a manhole anymore it would need to be diverted

pretty sure they changed the regs you cant build an extension or conservatory over a manhole anymore it would need to be diverted

It is not over it :)

The manhole is elsewhere in the garden.

When I first made the topic I thought that the pipe would be running beneath the very old concrete base that is there. The maps showing the drains etc., are very vague. The property was built around 1950/5

This is not a major pipe to be honest either - it must go out to a more major drain beyond the rear garden.

In any event we are not putting in any foundations :)

Am going to crack on and when we come to sell, will quite honestly say that the drain does not run beneath the conservatory.

if its just a pipe its not a problem and if you decided to go down the footing route you could just wrap the pipe with insulation and poor the concrete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back