Build over agreements - public waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have experiecne of Anglian Water and build over agreements. I have two public wastes running under my garden and the man holes just outside on public land. Run I believe it runs directly under the house and garage extended area.

Anglian Water are not helpful and they documenation has conflicting information - has anyone delt with them and had sucess, any pitfalls to avoid.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone have experiecne of Anglian Water and build over agreements. I have two public wastes running under my garden and the man holes just outside on public land. Run I believe it runs directly under the house and garage extended area.

Anglian Water are not helpful and they documenation has conflicting information - has anyone delt with them and had sucess, any pitfalls to avoid.
Build over has become a by-word for 'money making exercise' in terms of permissions from water companies. However, it is also a way of monitoring their (owned) sewer pipe system.

A savvy builder familiar with how the construction side of things works can be a great help in avoiding bureaucracy and helping the job go smoothly. If however you have large diameter pipes and/or if they are at a decent depth, then I suggest you move.

The bottom line is the Water Company own the sewer network, and therefore are also responsible for maintaining it. If your neighbour started doing something that could affect your property, you'd want to know about it, and your assets protecting, which is basically what the Water Companies are doing.

I work for AW, and whilst the sewer map is as accurate as possible, it was ultimately copied from the original drawings available, and does not always 100% correspond to what's on/in the ground. I've been on jobs where a sewer we didn't know existed has been uncovered, smaller diameter house drainage is not recorded due to the amount there would be, and there is currently a campaign to try and locate private pumping stations to get them recorded on the map and bring them 'in house'.

Sewers can be diverted, but depending on size of pipe, distance of diversion, etc., will depend on whether it is cost effective to do anything. Moving a 900mm foul sewer is not cheap.

My brother wanted to replace a 1930s lightweight garage with a proper extension to his house. 100' away near the end of the garden there was a little (6" X 4") cast iron flap in the soil. Turned it was a "lamp hole" and he had a 12' diameter sewer pipe under his garage. Thames water wanted 18' height clearance over it so they could get big diggers in to fix the pipe (perhaps). He moved.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Unbelievable! That must be the main sewer for half of London! Not surprised they wanted plenty of clearance, with a sewer like that they must have been round regularly to inspect. Are you saying he didn't even know it was there?

Unbelievable! That must be the main sewer for half of London! Not surprised they wanted plenty of clearance, with a sewer like that they must have been round regularly to inspect. Are you saying he didn't even know it was there?

Have you seen London's sewers? Good grief, there are some you could drive a car through. :eek:

I have to divert it, the surface water one we are not touching far too much to move, pipe is huge. The foul is 360mm wide x 400mm deep measured internally. No access holes are in our property they are on a public green area, so are outside our boundary. Our piling contractor did work in Brentwood and that was over a larger pipe and Thames water gave a build over agreement. What I don't like is there is no UK standard each water company is free to make up its own rules. Next issue is do I sue the house builder because the house was I think not allowed to be built that close in the first place 1994, still said builds should be at least 3m away from that size pipe..... Moving NO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back