Builder asking for 50% of the job cost - Do i pay or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for assistance please

I nipped home for my lunch and just received a letter from my builder asking for 50% of the money for works done so far, now i'm no idiot and know that there has no way been 50%of the works carried out and other than some concrete and re-bar for underpinning there has been no outlay for materials.

Its only a garden conversion Not even £8000 pounds worth of work and out of the last 15 working days mon-fri i have worked out they have only done 8.5 days and that's being generous.

Now from watching tv i know your not supposed to pay anything until finished as they maybe likely to do one with the cash but these are a reputable company where i live they are one of the biggest players in the building trade thats why we went with them coz they promised us a 2-3 week max turn around, 3 weeks in i have a mud pit some underpinning and 3 outhouses demolished.

So my question is am i right to refuse payment until works are complete or is it normal to pay 50% upfront. I just find it a bit cheeky considering the lack of effort being put in as my garden should be finished tomorrow and like i said its just a mud pit!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
It's normal to have stage payments, what does it say in the contract.

Who are the builders.

I dont believe there was a payment structure, The only contact was just a note referring back to the works to be carried out and a area for me to sign and date to agree for them to carry out the works stated. one copy for me one for them.

But even so should there not be at least 50% of the works done before asking for 50% of the money? i mean i dont want to seem arsey but they aint done £4000 pounds worth of work, i just have small bits of big jobs done obviously to make it look like lots have been done and i know they do a bunk at 8.30 when they think i've gone to work and also after lunch when I've been home and gone back to work, as they dont know my wife is off wed, thur & Fri I would have paid them in full after 50% completion if they had made some effort but its just a long list of excuses. I could have done what they have done by myself in 3 weeks and I'm ****!!!

Thanks for your replies tho i will give them a ring and see what the crack is

Sponsored Links
Who are the builders, I know all the main ones.

How much materials is on site approximate cost.

It is normal to make stage payments but it certainly shouldn't be more than the percentage of work satisfactorily completed and it really should have been agreed before the work was quoted. I would advise you to initially tell them that no agreement was made for stage payments and you were not anticipating making payment until all work was completed. On the other hand you could offer them a compromise, which should be the percentage you think is complete including labour and materials. You will have to decide that and also make sure what they have completed is satisfactory. As long as it is pay them that amount. If it were me I would also have agreed that 10% of stage payments be retained until final completion. Since you have no agreement I see no reason why you shouldn't do that now.

It may be an idea to tell the office that no-one is on site most of the day.

Pretty much agree with the above.

If there was no proper contract from the outset this could be your opportunity to secure one.

You could agree to pay for the works completed to date (maybe 25-30%) in return for a full and comprehensive schedule of the remainder specifying timescales for completion of each phase, and payments to be made at various project milestones.

I'd certainly retain the final 10% until the whole job is COMPLETELY finished, snags rectified, and you're totally happy.

If there is no agreed payment schedule, then you pay at the end when the work is all done

If you trust the builder, then you may choose to pay him interim payments, but its up to you what and when.

I'd certainly not agree to some random figure, and never more than the value of work done and materials fixed on site at the time of the payment

I wouldnt have put a spade in the ground without a 10%deposit! With staged payments as work progresses. And a 10% retainer until satisfaction! (sometimes never!) if a lot of muck has been removed this could cost a bit as any rubbish is costing an arm and leg to cart away! So maybe take this into consideration! Some good advice on here so take it! And dont spend to much time watching cowboy builders!! :eek: Were not all like that! :confused:

Just seen your other post! You aint happy about there underpinning, is that why you dont want to pay? ;)
What is this undepinning for? Need photos. Depending on the job it can be approx £1000 per linear metre so how much have they completed! Need info!
Just because you cant see where the work has been done do you realise what has actually been completed! 50% may have been done, shows us the spec and photos! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the helpful advice, i spoke to the foreman tonight as he has been doing all the work at my house today which is odd, i'm guessing they must have another big job or several jobs on at the moment as none of the usual group were here, he looked ****ed off to say the least but then i hired the company to do a job its not my fault if they don't have the work force so i let him plod on until 6 bells tonight

I'm not saying i wouldn't pay them i don't mind small staggered payments or 2no %50 chunks but this was never an option either verbally or written so it came as a shock so i just wanted to know

Well the job cost £8000 so 50% is £4000 for digging out some earth not much as it was only a yard not a huge garden and demolishing 3 small out houses. (underpinning was an addition)

I dont watch cowboy builders never have but the horror stories some unfortunate people suffer travel and no body regardless of how much money they have want to ripped off, and for us that dont know the trades that come to our homes and we are presented with a problem then come on here for advice, hopefully unbiased as we are asking people in the very trade we are concerned about.

Thanks for all the good advice

Just seen your other post! You aint happy about there underpinning, is that why you dont want to pay? ;)
What is this undepinning for? Need photos. Depending on the job it can be approx £1000 per linear metre so how much have they completed! Need info!
Just because you cant see where the work has been done do you realise what has actually been completed! 50% may have been done, shows us the spec and photos! :rolleyes:

Underpinning is a separate bill....not part of the £8000

underpinning is costing £1800 which i think is fair it just looks ****e!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back