Builder/Developer cut corners ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have recently purchased a new affordable housing leasehold flat in a converted block, which the Developers had to provide in order to obtain permission for their other bread and butter properties. The flats are for use by people over 55 years old and generaly seem to have been built on a shoestring

From the plans and documentation I have in my possession, there should be a entrance porch in the main entrance, i.e. outer and inner doors, but there is only one external door, which opens outward and is very awkward for an able bodied person to use, let alone some elderly and/or disabled. The lease also refers to heating and cctv in the communal areas, but there is none.

Moreover, although I have been assured that the sound insulation is better than required by law, the noise (footsteps etc) from the upper flat seems to be excessive.

I have absolutely no knowledge of planning/building regulations, so would appreciate advice please. For health reasons I find it hard to leave the property now, so can I email the Local Authority, specifying my concerns.
Alternatively, if I have to go to the planning department, what should I ask to see please ?

Sponsored Links
How new are the houses / when were they built?

If the properties were built within the last 4 years you could get in contact with the local planning authority / their enforcement section, and outline your concerns regarding the doors, in the sense that the building hasn't been constructed in accordance with the approved plans. (or I guess you can ask to see them / they are probably available online too)

If they have been built more than 4 years, they won't enforce against it.

Regarding the sound insulation, if it meets building regulation standards, there's not much you can do (although what is okay on paper can often be not sufficient in reality)
Speak with the approved inspector or the local authority who fitted it, and ask about the insulation fitted.

The lease relating to the Heating and CCTV thing is probably not going to be covered by planning and/or building. You could try checking the conditions of the decision notice to see if there was anything to do with CCTV on the decision notice or approved plan (quite unlikely) or again discuss with building regs to see if there's anything from their end that is a statutory requirement - again it's doubtful. I think that may be more a matter between you and whoever you struck the lease with to have a discussion about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back