builder emigratin where do I stand on the gaurantee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just found out on a social site my builder is emigrating .he has not told me where do I stand ..he's dur a final payment when job is signed off but we have had lots of problems from draights around spotlights which he put loft insulation around in the flat roof .a draughty door .whistling radiator .not a clue what I do now .

Sponsored Links
It depends on the wording of your contact or your verbal agreement.

You could withhold a sum to cover any unfinished work. But you need to be clear as to whether what you are complaining about are actually defects or not.

Incidentally, you don't have any guarantee now. All you have is the potential to sue the builder for negligence if work is substandard. That right should still exist wherever the builder emigrates to. It's just a bit more difficult.

The first thing is to draw up a list things you're not happy with, and then discuss it with him. Is he emigrating straight after the job's finished, or just intending to go sometime this year. If it's sooner rather than later, then you need to discuss the "warranty" because he's not going to be around to rectify any problems. How long is guaranteeing the work for, and will he be around to fulfill his obligations. Depending on the answers, you possibly get another builder (you may well have to pay him) to assess the work, and what it'll cost to put the faults right. If there's draughts coming from the spotlights, that implies the holes aren't the right size, or the spotlights haven't gone in properly. Who signed the electrics off, and do you have the certificate for the work. Obviously, you don't make the final payment until you're happy with the work. Let him sue you if neccessary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back