Builder used wrong mortar mix ridges+hip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - had new roof done but found that the builder used the same mix (probably 5:1 sand/cement) to lay our patio slabs - but some of the slabs on the steps we've managed to pull off with a simple tug! and it's only been 2 months!

I'm worried about my new roof which the same builders did. I can reach the mortar on my porch hip tiles and I can dig into it with a pen and scratch the mortar out. Is this normal? Or does it mean it's too much sand or wrong sand in the mortar mix?
If the mortar mix is wrong am I faced with ridge and hip tiles falling soon? If so how long? Should I get it redone now or wait until something goes wrong?

THANKS

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't get a butcher to bake you a cake, so why get a builder to work on your roof? Sorry, but I see this time and again and it costs the customer a lot of money, needlessly!
Has he installed hip irons at the base of the hips? If so they would, to a degree help to stop the hips sliding off. If not, he's an idiot and you are in danger!
The mortar should be solid. Roofers use different mixes, we only use 'Cooks' building sand at a ratio of 4:1 with a mortar plasticizer additive. Other roofers may use a different mix but 5:1 is way too weak in my opinion.
The hips and ridges need to be taken off and re-bedded I am afraid. If they came off in high winds, the outcome of this could be catastrophic. Whatever you do, don't let some 'Cowboy' point them up. This is known as 'buttering up' and is something you would see on the telly, shortly before Dominick Littlewood turns up.
Many builders are great at what they do, and, they should stick to just that and let each profession do the job they have been trained to do properly.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back