Builders came, saw what needed doing and disappeared!

PeterPerfection sounds like a really angry man. Clarification:
1. It was a lead roof over a bay window. As for the £200 from the scrapyard, it was a builder who pointed it out to us. This roofer wanted cash in hand: £300 included removal of lead roof which was already yanked out part-way by vandals, and replacing it with a felt roof. I found out that the felt material he used was £37 for 10 meters. Our bay window was less than 2 meters.
2. The lock: this 'friend' is a joiner. He lives round the corner from us and got the lock from B&Q for £25. We had to pay £65, in total, for him to fit the lock.
PeterPerfection, if you have been doing a good job, and charged a reasonable price, perhaps you would be a less angry man. Customers these days know what the price of material. To charge £100 per hour for some of the work that needs doing is clearly exhorbitant. For your information, the roofing job was over and done in 2 hours, whilst the lock only took half an hour!

Sponsored Links
Whatever you pay for a service is not just profit to the provider. The price of a litre of petrol is not all profit. The more quotes you get, the more time the guy has to spend getting work. Don't pay until you are satisfied that the job is correct, but don't withhold payment for a good job.

PeterPerfection sounds like a really angry man. Clarification:
1. It was a lead roof over a bay window. As for the £200 from the scrapyard, it was a builder who pointed it out to us. This roofer wanted cash in hand: £300 included removal of lead roof which was already yanked out part-way by vandals, and replacing it with a felt roof. I found out that the felt material he used was £37 for 10 meters. Our bay window was less than 2 meters.
2. The lock: this 'friend' is a joiner. He lives round the corner from us and got the lock from B&Q for £25. We had to pay £65, in total, for him to fit the lock.
PeterPerfection, if you have been doing a good job, and charged a reasonable price, perhaps you would be a less angry man. Customers these days know what the price of material. To charge £100 per hour for some of the work that needs doing is clearly exhorbitant. For your information, the roofing job was over and done in 2 hours, whilst the lock only took half an hour!
Not angry at all bud.
I never undercharge jobs and always try to do a great job for people.
Certain members of the public like yourself- pop into B & Q and such places- and think you know how much things cost .
You always forget to add on all the little bits that magically appear on the job and are used to fasten/seal the felt . etc etc.

Like I said to you- tradesmen dont turn up to do a job for a customer either because they dont trust them or dont like them .
No tradesman likes to be told how much materials cost by a customer or how long it should take to do the job.

So guy round the corner- went to B&Q - paid for a lock and then went to your house and fitted it- all for £40 ?.
I presume he is self employed ?--If so- out of that £40 he will have to pay tax, N Ins conts, Pub Liab Ins, service his vehicle-tax and insure it too. Also put something aside for when he's on holiday because self emp dont get holiday pay like 'normal' people who work for someone else .
All the above things and many more that you will never have heard of have to be factored in to every job.
What was the guy supposed to do with rest of his day. Half day charge minimum for sensible tradesmen .

Regarding the buider telling you that the roofer would get £200 for the lead - thats hogwash . Check out scrap lead prices --at current rates that would be 'about' 200 KG . I hope you had 'steels' in your bay window. !!!

Dont believe everything you hear .And dont think B & Q is the best place to get the best materials .
have a nice day .

Not too surprised by your response. Of course there are bits and pieces that 'magically appear' which we ignorant non-trades people cannot appreciate. My information sources are not just merely from B&Q shops etc but also from people who are in the trade. Incidentally, they are the ones who warn us to shop around.
Too many dodgy tradespeople are ripping people off, hence the need to get at least three quotes for a job. If these people bothered to pop in and spend up to 2 hours to assess the work, only to disappear, what could I have said or done for you to conclude that it was due to me as a person. Perhaps they worked that they wouldn't be able to pull wool over my eyes as I talk to them in their own trade lingo, checked with building reg etc before asking them if they would do the job?
As mentioned in the earlier posts, one of the members thought the all the guys sound dodgy.

Sponsored Links
Not too surprised by your response. Of course there are bits and pieces that 'magically appear' which we ignorant non-trades people cannot appreciate. My information sources are not just merely from B&Q shops etc but also from people who are in the trade. Incidentally, they are the ones who warn us to shop around.
Too many dodgy tradespeople are ripping people off, hence the need to get at least three quotes for a job. If these people bothered to pop in and spend up to 2 hours to assess the work, only to disappear, what could I have said or done for you to conclude that it was due to me as a person. Perhaps they worked that they wouldn't be able to pull wool over my eyes as I talk to them in their own trade lingo, checked with building reg etc before asking them if they would do the job?
As mentioned in the earlier posts, one of the members thought the all the guys sound dodgy.

ps- in your expert opinion - just how much did you estimate the new roof work should cost ?.
pps- Also how much did you expect to pay to get a new lock supplied and fitted ?.
Please answer those questions .

With utmost respect-- you just cant see it can you ?

Nobody- 'me included' wants to get involved doing a job for a person who is 'known in the trade' as a 'know it all' -- or/and a 'messer' and a 'nitpicker'. That my friend- is what you appear to be.
I would not do work for anyone like that- nomatter how much the price was. I would also bet that any tradesman reading this would think the same way.
(although there obviously will be a few who disagree with me --and they know who they are)

All the people you know and advise you- who you say are 'in the trade' -- please tell me just why any of those did not want to do the job ?
Also- Why did they not recommend any of 'their' friends in the trade- to do the job for you ?.
Easy answer to that one- they would not want to inflict a know it all/ or a messer on even their worst enemy.
We have all done work for people like that- and learned to leave them to get someone else next time around..
So- there you are -
lets talk a bit of tradesmens lingo huh ?. and see what your reply is.

'Whats yer job mate' ?? what's yer daily rate ? you get a penshun wiv it mate ?.

Back